Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Someone please describe Stefan Lessard's (Dave Matthews Band) sound!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Yamarc, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I know all the gear, now I want descriptions of his sounds so I can find it with my rig. thanks, marc

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    well.. You can't get his sound.. its his sound..

To get close.. you need a modulus bass or two... you also need some ampeg gear...

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    his older rig consisted of swr amps/cabs and a warwick dolphin. just download some of their tunes...

4. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    IMO, his best sound!

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

How can you find "descriptions" on a rig - so if somebody says tight and punchy? :confused:

6. Originally posted by Bruce Lindfield

How can you find "descriptions" on a rig - so if somebody says tight and punchy?

I have to agree with Bruce here. If I and a couple others say his sound is tight yet farty are you going to try to dial a flatulent sound out of your amp.?

Why not listen to some DMB songs and try and cop the sound?

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i'll agree with that ;) i was able to get a good approximation of his sound with my old n/t warwick thumb 4 string and my eden rig by messing with the eq a little bit.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Bassey.

9. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Okay smart guys, what I meant was...I have been trying to cop his sound, but since I am relatively inexperienced when it comes to sculpting a tone/sound, I am stuck. I have tried Warwicks and Modulus, Ampeg and SWR- I know that a lot of his tone is in his hands, but so many different term are thrown around. Some say he has a hifi mid sound and others say he sounds more scooped and bassy. My confusion is over the terminology- if I find that the majority says 'hifi mid' then I will search out something that allows for parametric midrange and audiophile tone. I want to use Stefan's sound as a sarting place to create my own, but I don't want it to cost my thsounds of dollars in the process. (I live in SC and there are no bass specialty shops around here!) So, again I ask for descriptions of Stefan's sound (early or later DMB) and suggestions for achieving that tone, albeit technique or gear. However, I don't need a run down of the gear that I already know that he has, original information only please! Thanks

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I still think you're onto a loser!! ;)

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Mulyerrrlaaaarg

12. i think i just busted my kidney open laughing.

13. ah i love dave matthews band...they're orgasmic!
    ...am i alloud to say that?:D
    peace&plaid
    -shoonk

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

ouch, sorry. :( :)