Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Someone please help me out

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I'm fixin to buy me a nice Jazz bass. I'm pretty broke so i'm only allowing myself to spend about 700$ at most.

I have found a fair share of decent Jazz basses in my price range, however I can't seem to find any with those Block Inlays. I know they are not THAT important, but looks are just as important to me as sound and feel. I'm very visual so I must gripe.

So any reccomendations of where or from whom I might be able to obtain one?

(I already know of the Geddy Lee & Marcus Miller, The Geddy might be a possibility if I can't find something better)

2. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I'll save you some time. At $700 or less you WON'T find a better jazz than the Geddy Lee. :smug:

3. +1 for the geddy

4. you could always buy a cheaper jazz bass, then order a warmoth neck with block inlays, and even binding if you're into that kind of thing.

www.warmoth.com

That is of course, if you don't mind modding out your bass from all original. You could always sell the original neck on the 'bay to help justify the cost of the new one.

Help any???
    ~Ryan.

5. ++1 for the Geddy.
    Have had mine since Tuesday, played constantly, absolutely no better for the money.

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I coulda sworn the Geddy does not have block inlays. Just black patches of paint.

Maybe I remembered wrong...

7. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Bro, go play one and join the jonesin' Jazz junkies.

8. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Unless you're REALLY stuck on the idea of block inlays, consider a used Lakland Skyline Joe Osborne. You should be able to find one used in your price and they're nice basses.

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    What about this one?

[​IMG]

$699 @ GC. This one was $580.

10. What brand is that?

11. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Fender QMT/"Jazz 24" possibly.

It's made by Fender, is a Jazz bass with 24 frets and has a Quilted Maple Top. I believe Fender was calling it the Jazz Bass 24, but I recall checking Musician's Friend and they called it a Fender QMT Jazz Bass.

12. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    nice rig!!!!
    i got G.A.S for one of these now!!!!!!!
    send me to a web page w/pricing please!!!!!!! :hyper:

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They're nice, but not quite a Geddy in my book. Went to GC looking for jazz, loved the Geddy, then the guy handed me this. A couple bucks cheaper, but it didn't have the same vibe. Was also MIK I believe, but great quality for that. Top notch bass, just didn't speak to me the way I wanted a jazz to.

14. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    i got a mia jazz 4 and i love it! ive never played the geddy lee but all ive heard is good stuff!!! must be great for the price!!
    did the mik jazz 4 have a 18 volt preamp? and does it come with a case? im just looking for another bass for a diffrent tone! :eyebrow:

15. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You can get this bass from MF or GC. I haven't seen it anywhere else but from those two.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=122/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/515038/

I compared this bass to a Geddy and an Aerodyne. Both are very nice basses. The Geddy looks sharp and the Aerodyne is gorgeous. But neither made the test Mesa Boogie Walkabout sing like this baby!

SD 1/4 #ers, heavy duty bridge with string through option, Hip Shot tuners and 9v three band EQ. What's not to like? :D