1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Someone please help me with pickups.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by creis2, Jul 30, 2012.

1. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    I posted this a few days ago in the pickups and electronics part of the forum, no one seems to know.

I have a set of P bass pickups that I took off a bass a few months ago. I got a new body and I'm ready to put the pickups in.

The pickups were laying in a box and moved around. I don't know which pickup goes under the G,D Strings and which one goes under A,E strings. Nor do I know which is front or back.

How can I figure out where my pickups should correctly go?

2. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    It doesn't matter.

3. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Is the new body routed? A P-Bass only has one pickup, and it only fits one way, right?

4. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    We might be on a different page. It's a modern fender precision bass. It has two separate pickups that look the same.

Looks like this:

fralin-fender-professional-bass-pickups.

5. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Okay, I'll admit I've never owned a modern Fender Precision or any other Precision. I thought that was all one unit. Still, I have to agree with Low Class that it doesn't matter. If you're still in doubt, email Fender customer support.

6. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    It doesn't matter. They're two units in series and they're the same. Mount it in a way that's easiest to get the white and black wires to your control and ground.

7. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    Thanks very very much. :bassist:

8. Since manufacturers don't like to waste wire or any other material (those extra inches add up to $$ when production is high) this approach will likely give you the original configuration.

9. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner

Yep. This.