Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME...?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geezer316, Jun 27, 2003.

1. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i want to reward myself for getting a new job,so i believe a new Fender is in order;) i was going to get the 51 Re-Issue,but the pick-up on it does'nt give me a thumb rest to anchor to.i dont like adding mods to new basses(unless its necessary for it to function).SO since i can afford to get a better bass if needed,i figured on a Jammerson or Duck signature bass.i have looked high and low for either of these with no luck,and i have run out of avenues.i thought about a Geddy Lee,but to thin of a neck for me(though it sounds gnarly)and want something other than a regular Jazz or P-Bass(i already own a jazz special)so can anyone help me out with a lead ? or maybe even a bass i can check into ?I'll make it easy for you,i only play fenders but a MM S.U.B. bass is'nt out of the question(totally):D

2. Dude,you can still rest your thumb on the pick-up of the 51' re-issue...it'll just be different.

good luck!

congrats on the new job:)

-Jon:oops:

3. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i tried to get used to it MANY times,but its level with the body and i cant get a good anchor.BELIEVE ME i tried.:bawl: i am used to my fender jazz and my jazz special,and rely heavily on the blocky pick-up cover for a firm anchor.i will try a few more times before dropping a nut on a new bass.:meh:

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    you know you want a spector...

5. How about an MIA Hot-rodded P bass. Even though they have been discontinued for a couple years now they are still relitively easy to find.
    I love mine. Nothing compares to it! (IMO) :D

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    we have one of those at work. Brand new shape. Never been bought. it's like only 800. Natural ash body with shell pickguard. I soooooo wish i could buy that thing. If you're interested, I might be able to help you out.

7. Does it have a maple fretboard?
    cause that would be the creme de la creme :D

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    have you tried a lakland 55-02??

imo, if the bass sounds good and feels pretty good, then the lack of a thumb rest wouldnt turn me away from it. reason being, my 1st bass, a fender musicmaster, had one, so did my ibanez. the bass after my ibanez didnt have one at 1st it was a bit odd, but i got used to it in no time.

9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

If it's a real good job, get a Sadowsky. You'll love it

Rob

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    nope, its rosewood. Sorry... I think the rosewood looks best with the natural finish. The maple would be too much light wood on one bass.

11. Well rosewood and natural are cool too...i just perfer the feel of a maple fretboard.
    I never understood why Fender discontinued that series...bad move on their part. (IMO) I wouldnt mind pickin up another hot-rod someday.

12. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    you say the pickup is level with the body? that shouldn't be the case....it should be able to be adjusted high enough to be an adequate thumb rest....the ones I've played were fine.

13. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    my problem is as follows.the pick-up on the 51 bass is a single coil,which is not like a regular old p-bass pick-up,it is counter sunk into the body without the plastic cover on it to give it the height i need to actively use it for an anchor.plus its not staggered,meaning its straight across,making it smaller,and not poking out of the string area to be accesible.its hard for me to describe it,bottom line is its to small for me to use it in the fashion that i am used to playing.:bawl: i am thinking of adding the chrome ash-tray covers over the bridge and pick-up,but i need to play one first to see if it works with my style.i tried a Sadowsky and they are well in my price range,but i do not want to spend that kind of money,the 51 re-issue is a few hundred dollars short of a weekly pay-check,and thats about as high as i will go(one weeks pay,is my limit.:cool: )so bassicaly 900.00$ is my max,and if i find the right bass then i mite consider spending more.which brings me my point of a great bass at a great price='s Fender Japan.:D THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Learn floating thumb and get away from the crutch of anchoring on a pickup.

15. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i can play many styles of bass,and floating thumb is on my list.but i prefer my thumb anchored on the string above, or the pick-up cover if i'm on the E string.i just prefer that style over the others,fixed thumb being another one of them.i experimented with a ramp so i can play anywhere from 3 inches up the frett-board to as low as the bridge while having a solid place to anchor my thumb while fingering the E string,but i did'nt think to much of it.(only on a bass site can you get away with a quote like that;))if i am going to spend my money on a new bass,i feel like i should'nt have to settle for anything less than perfect.what i mean by that is, I always went with a used bass so i can get the most quality for my money(aside from my first bass which was an ibanez GSR200)so now that i'm going new i want exactly the bass i wish to own,no ifs, ands, or buts,I'm not trying to be a brat.Finally after 1 and a half years of playing i can get exactly what i want,not what i can afford to get, so i want the perfect(or as close to as pos.)bass,so if i have to search high and low,so be it. thanks everyone for all the imput.:D

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    if you did happen to think about used, and acacia bass would rock like nobody's business.