someone please help!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Irie01, May 11, 2002.

1. Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    I have been playing my new Sterling for a week or so now and I am noticing something very different about this bass that I have never had before on a bass. Hmmm.. how can I put this? When I am playing the strings seem to ring out a lot. Its almost as if I have to try and mute every note after I play it because the strings ring out. It gets noisy at times and does not sound very smooth. I dont know if it is has something to do with the maple f. board or not. This is the first maple I have ever had. I really have to be much more attentive to my fingers. The Stingray w/ a rose wood f. board I have played never did this at all. It is becoming a hastle it feels like and I dont know what to do. I hope someone can give me some suggestions or explanation why this may be happeneing.
  2. tummage

Apr 23, 2002
    New Orleans, La
    Sounds like it's possssed. Luckily I can exorcise it for you. May take several years though. Just send it to me and I'll get right on it!

just my opinion!! LOL
    tummage;) :D ;)
  3. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    What kind of strings are you using?
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've noticed my Sterling has a lot of sustain, too. I think it's partially due to the tight neck pocket, and partially due to the high quality body and neck woods. (My Ric is even more intense!)

You'll quickly get used to left and right hand muting. I use flats, so mine is easily controlled.
  5. slade

Apr 5, 2001
    Try compressing the hell out of it- I have a MM Stingray and everytime I play my buddies Sterling I have to crank up my compressor- I played a gig recently with it and really had to work the compressor and the EQ to get what I wanted out of it. Once you get it dialed in though.. what a tone!
  6. Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    Ive just been using Ernie Ball slinky strings. They came on it and I got a free set. They are steel rounds.
  7. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
  8. ernies are nickle??? mine sure sound like steel and ring ike steel...
  9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A lot of "Nickels" are nickel-coated steel strings...