Someone Please smack me...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jawzzz, Mar 7, 2004.

1. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Yesterday I hooked up my Goliath senoir that I just bought, to my crown XS 700 in bridge mode. Both the cab and the amp worked and sounded great. Then I disconnected the Goliath and hooked up both of my Eden 210 XST cabs to the amp in stereo. Well I played for about 10 seconds, then I realised, I did not switch the amp from bridge mode to stereo. I shut off the amp, and switched it to stereo. Now I have this scratching/crackling sound coming from my amp.

I have tried the cabs with another amp, and they are fine. The amp however still makes the noise with other cabs and cables. Now I have to ship my amp to Crown to have it repaired, and my wallet drained. :bawl:

The only good thing, is that I had just bought second power amp, so I can still play bass while the XS is being repaired.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Crown has a three year no-fault warranty. How old is it?

3. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I just got it in december, but it is my fault, and that is not covered in the warranty. I had to explain what happened in the warranty ticket, and i can't lie. That is not who I am.
  4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Your actions are good enough.... for me to poop on.

And just cause you said we could...

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Oops. Consider yourself smacked. :)
  6. poalf

Feb 27, 2003
    Phoenix, Az
    I thought "no fault" meant they don't care whether it's your fault or not
  7. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
  8. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, it IS no fault. I remember seeing in the manual or somwhere else (maybe the website) that you could even drop it and they would still fix the thing! You might be OK here! But *smack* anyways.
  9. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I hope that they are feeling nice. I'm glad that I don't have to tell them that I jumped up and down on it and smashed it to pieces. ;) :p

In thier warranty, it has a little disclaimer excluding user negligence , accidental damage, misuse, or loss. I am hoping that my experience turns out as good as the one I had with Ibanez last year. They replaced my BTB with a new one after I had let it fall out of the case on to concrete.

Let the smacking continue people. ;)
  10. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    That is just dumb. What manufacturer with a no fault warranty would charge you for work on an amp that is only a few months old? BOO to them I say. BOO!
  11. same here. Koss where great, man I sent these phones back to them in 4 pieces, and they sent me a new set: recommend Koss.
    ohhhh...... I almost forgot...... SMACK!!! :)
  12. One would think that with all the modern protection amps are supposed to have that such an obvious and predictable screw up would be covered under the protection scheme of the protection circuits. No one deliberately short-circuits across the leads either, but it happens and the circuit is supposed to watch out for such a thing. I think you should be covered under warranty. It's not like you deliberately hooked up to 220 just to watch it fry.

13. YEAH....... What he said!
  14. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    No kidding. Yorkville has an "Even if you break it" warranty. Supposedly you can toss something out the window and they will replace it for you. Never had the balls to try it out though, but that is conviction in your stuff.
  15. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I sent it to them today. I should know by next week what the damage is. I will keep all of you updated.
  16. As I understand it, the separate left/right speaker connections on an amp that bridges are still carrying current (they're not shut off or anything), and you normally of course connect up to the bridged output. The only thing that should happen (IMO) if you're in bridge mode and you connect speakers up to the left/right taps, is that the speakers would be out of phase (or polarity) with each other, and would be working against each other, noticable mostly in the lower bass frequencies. I've done this on my Eden WT-800 (unintentionally), and just corrected my settings/connections with no ill effect. Maybe on your Crown it's just a bad switch or something simple. Good luck!
  17. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    ya man, i bet it isn't even broken, i dunno, seems weird to me. either way, they should cover it.
  18. ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT

In my opinion warranties are designed to not be honored. If you feel like you've done the right thing, awesome. still
  19. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    It is broken, One of the capacitators( black tube not sure if this is what it is) has a bunch of white stuff leaking all around it. It loofs like melted foam. It is something with the amp because I tried it with other speakers, and it was the same result. I used the Edens with a different amp and had no problem.
  20. Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    that sucks, sorry.

I did the exact same thing w/ my stewart 1.2 a few months ago, but nothing was damaged. I guess i'm just lucky.