Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Someone,please tell me why Kerry King did that song with Sum 41?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by frankencow150, Apr 14, 2002.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I'm not much of a fan of either of the two bands,but when I saw that new sum 41 video,i was just so confused.what are your thoughts?

2. He used to do videos with the Beatie Boys, why not Sum 41?

3. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    It just seemed ironic,because Slayer is one of those bands that just isn't mainstream at all.MTV fans would never accept a group of big guys with long hair screaming about the devil and death.It also went against Slayer's "views",I've heard in interviews they say things like "i'm tired of all these metal wannabe bands you see on mtv and hear on the radio nowadays etc...".

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    probably because he wanted the money

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'd have to say money.

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I'm quite annoyed by Sum41's wannabe metal thing. I mean, I love metal, even though I mainly play rock/blues, but if they want to be metal so bad, why don't they grow their hair long, start writting some thrash/power/black/death/prog/speed/stoner ect. songs, and try to get signed to Century Media or Metal Blade, instead of playing pop punk that gets played on MTV. :rolleyes: (Wow that's quite a run-on sentence)

I mean, I never slam anyone for the stlye of music they decide to play, but when I see Sum41, I get the impression that they like metal more than what they are playing, but the only reason they are doing pop punk instead of metal is because of the money/fame ect.

7. their song "in too deep" is pop genius. i love it.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I dunno, I think Kerry must like doing other stuff, I know he's guested for Alice Cooper, Sum 41, ICP, Pantera, Hatebreed, Rob Zombie, and Beastie Boys. Not to mention he does sountrack work for movies, with and without Slayer. Apparently, man cannot survive on Slayer alone...

9. Why do people have to have long hair to play metal?

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    is this a joke?

11. i used to be a huge slayer fan. their new album was a harsh disappointment. i did notice in one sum41 video a slayer poster. from the beginning slayer haven't kept to their 'cause'. in an early interview they admitted basically that everything was show, and that they only loosely stood behind anything they wrote. i do enjoy them though...just nothing after and including that punk-cover album 'undisputed'...

12. you dont have to but it give you a essence or raw battles, plus when you headbang with short hair it feels stupid and un-powerful

13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Why? because as much as he wants to stay "true" and as much as he says megadeath are sellouts and crap. he's the biggst freaking sellout ever. i personly dont belive in that sellout garbage, at least not the way everyone else views it. I used to like Kerry King, but he's kinda anal.

14. selling out is playing mainstream excepted music, if before your not trying to sell records with music and did it because it was hard and made you want to vomit notes. i believe it takes great freedom not to give in to the corperate ear.

15. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Oh yeah man, i hear ya. completly. i need to quit this stupid "Spiky Fro" as they call it, and grow long hair like a millon other metal bands. GOOD WAY TO STICK TO A STUPID IDOIT VIEW THAT ALL METAL BANDS HAVE LONG HAIR.:D

16. keep your fro, and ill have my long hair

just look it at this, have you had short hair and tryed to head bang? it even feels stupid, long hair puts a weight on your head to make it feel powerful

17. Pea-NUT

Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    Well, growing long hair etc. wouldnt make them metal. It might make them the stereotypic type metal. Just enjoy the music.

18. Pea-NUT

Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    My version of selling out would be:
    Changing your sound, and you self, because a record company offers money to you, to change.

19. yea long hair doesnt make you metal its a mental thing, rock bands do like to groove and bop there heads love long hair it just gives u a feel unlike anyother i know of.

20. It also excludes you from a large number of jobs and causes most people to pass judgement upon you before you've opened your mouth. Way to go.