Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Someone recommend me a poweramp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, May 4, 2003.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I'm looking to buy a Demeter HBP-1 preamp very soon. I need a power amp that puts out about 700 watts at 8 ohms/side, to power a Yamaha 1x18 PA sub on one side and an Avatar 2x10 (possibly 2 2x10s later on) on the other.

Right now, I'm running my GT-7 bass into a GK 400RB-III. Awsome head, I think I'll still keep it for a portable rig (this and my Avatar 2x10 has to be the best $650 rig I've ever played). I run a crossover out of the effects send, and the highs back into the effects return to get 150 watts at 8 ohms from my GK head. The lows are run out to Carvin DCM1000 power amp, bridged at 700 watts (8 ohms) into the Yamaha sub.

I'm looking to spend no more than $600 (I'll sell the Carvin to help finance this). I'm definately into the used stuff, so give me ballparks for used amp that meets my expectations :D

Requirements-

less than 35 pounds (preferably under 25)
    2 rackspaces (could go 3, like to keep it small)
    about 700 watts at 8 ohms/ side
    Speakon and/or 1/4 inch outs (I HATE binding posts)
    No deeper than 17 inches (to fit in my rack)

Anybody have any ideas? (Did I not just describe a QSC PLX3402? Somebody sell me one of these for cheap!)

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    crown ce 2000

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
  4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    CARVIN.

I shall only say it once.

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hi Eric. I have a Crest ST1500 for sale. It's only been used for two weeks and I'm selling it for $600 plus shipping which should be around $30. It's 1500 watts at 4 ohms bridged and only 22 pounds. Check out the Crest site at www.crestaudio.com. Incredible amp, I've just decided to go with an integrated head instead of the pre/poweramp setup. Send me an email if you're interested. emjazz@hotmail.com.

Cheers.
    Andy Dow.

6. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Musicians friend was selling refurbished QSC PLX 1202s for 399--they may still be. I got one and I'm extremely pleased with it

7. And when you find one, buy 2 and sell me one. 700 watts per side into 8 ohms, 21 lbs, 2 rack space $600!. :rolleyes: Deals like that don't come around often...:p

8. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    QSC PLX series.

9. LJW

LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    QSC PLX

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Word to the PLX. A used 3002 is about the closest thing that I can think of to fit your bill. I have one in my rig, and it's more power than I should ever need - 3,000w bridged mono into 4 ohm.:D :bassist:

Tom.

11. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    The PLX's are cool as with most QSC amps. Also check out the newer Peavey CS800s and DPC1400 for lightweight stuff. The Stewart's are lightweight as well. These all have pretty good damping factors and slew rates which I find of importance. If weight is not a concern, you can't beat Crowns and Crests !!!!!!

12. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    QSC Powerlight (18 lbs), Powerlight 2 or PLX (both 21 lbs).

The PLX gets good ratings from eveyone I hear using them.

I use the RMX 2450 model which is 44 1/2 lbs. I think it's a super amp. For me, it's not too heavy to gig. I've only got the SVP-Pro pre amp in the rack with it.

13. DBasica

DBasica

Jan 6, 2003
    QSC PLX series. I have the 2402. Best large amp I've owned and I've owned way too many.

Dan

14. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I'm really digging the specs on the E&W 2000 watter. That's a little less power than I was going for. I want to keep my Yamaha SW1x18 sub as loud as it is now, with 700 watts from a Carvin amp going into it. However, I've heard from a couple of sources that Carvin amps are rated a little higher than they actually are.

Anyone have a price on an E&W 2000?

I like the Carvin amps, I was just seeing if there is anything a little smaller and lighter. Like I said, I have a DCM1000, and am nothing but satisfied with it.

So my main contenders right now (depending on price) are E&W 2000, QSC PLX3002 or 3402, or a Carvin DCM2000 if all else fails.

GreyBeard- I know it's a stretch, but I had to try.

15. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Someone (possibly on HarmonyCentral) is selling new Stewart World 2.1 amps at a very good price. It meets all your requirements.

JD

16. Yamaha CP2000

Cheers Rody

17. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Eric,

Contact Mark Hellinger at through the ewiUSA site. You'll get a reply from either him or his spouse Liz. Good people to deal with. Mark also makes some great cables if you're in need of some. Alos I think that I have an Excel spreadsheet at home with all of the 2002 prices but of course, those probably have changed. If you would still like to have it, send me you email address via PM/email.

18. Why may I ask, do you HATE binding (banana) posts? They provide better connection than a 1/4" plug does.

Yes, you essentially described a QSC plx3402 in your description, it appears that a used one is going for around $800 to $900.

You could "sacrifice" a few watts and go with a 3002 for about $700 used.

He's right. You will have to give up some watts, some weight, or some money if you want to own an amp.

Good luck.

19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ....or you could just buy my Crest and give up nothing.;)

20. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT

I really want speakons, even though my cabinets both only have 1/4 inputs.

I hate binding posts becuase of their incompatibilty with most modern speaker enclosures. Most now have 1/4 + speakons

Yeah, I knew it was a stretch but sometimes great deals come around. A 3002 would probably work just fine.