Someone recommended a PJ bass but i cant find one

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rotideveau02, Nov 29, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Rotideveau02

Rotideveau02

Nov 29, 2021
    So i made a post on reddit if the Fazley FPB118BK would be good for a starter.
    Someone recommended that i get a PJ guitar but i can't seem to find any.
    I have a very tight budget (no more than 120 for the bass itself) and i was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for me?

Also, what amp would you recommend? Preferably a rather cheap one

2. Yamaha RBX270 - used.

Acoustic356 likes this.
  3. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    If you’re just starting out it’s not really all that important what equipment you choose. What’s more important is that you find it comfortable to play. I suggest looking for used equipment in your area that falls within your budget.

4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Why did someone suggest you get a PJ?
    Any particular reason you're listening to this advice?

It's really quite simple, with only $120 you're extremely limited, even with a used bass.
    You might get lucky and find a used Ibanez Talman, this one's $125 and just happens to be a PJ, although I'd suggest something else
    hhxwuso675pzsahdb72o-jpeg.jpg
    ...but other than that, you're not going to find much. $200 or so is a more reasonable price, and you'd be able to actually try out a few basses before buying something on line and finding it's not a good fit.
    (Only 37 basses $125 or less on Reverb and that's the biggest site worldwide.)
    Remember, you're trying to buy a used bass at a time when 9 out of 10 sellers are asking too much for what they have.
    Edit
    After checking out the bass you mentioned, I'm guessing you're somewhere in Europe.
    I'm going to have to advise you not to buy the Fazley,
    however, you're in luck because both of these are available for $120 or so...Thomann's.
    Believe me, either one is the way to go.
    You will not find a better bass for the price, and these things will do everything a $300 bass will do.
    Photo-Collage-20211003-155059615.jpg

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    Tanner5382, Justinian and CallMeAl like this.
  5. spencejm

spencejm Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    Columbia, MO
    I was going to suggest either a Harley Benton or a Glarry. I’ve never played one but people that own them seem to really like them. I’m thinking about picking one up just to play with.

Joe

jd56hawk likes this.
  6. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Where are you located?

120 is very tight. Shop used. PJ* is a nice starting point but not essential. I’d look for a Ibanez, Yamaha or Squier. Harley Benton in Europe, not very common in the states.

Amp, 8” combo with headphones and an aux in- Rumble 25, Ampeg 108 or Hartke HD 25 are great. Vox Amplug is cheap if you don’t mind headphones-only.

*not sure if this is the question but “PJ Bass” is not a brand or model but refers to the following pickup configuration. They’re very common, just about every manufacturer makes one:

Attached Files:

7. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    Los Angeles
  8. Rotideveau02

Rotideveau02

Nov 29, 2021
    i decided to save up a bit and wait untill i have enough for the ibanez sr300EB. with a hartke hd75 amp. It's way above my original budget, but i guess it might be worth it. I could still sell it afterwards if i don't like playing the bass. the person who recommended the pj bass said that it was the best choice since i mostly wanted to play rock and funk rock. I don't know anything about bass, so...

would you recommend the ibanez sr300eb? or do you think there are better ones i can get for that price? What about the amp?

9. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    A PJ is a fine choice for lots of music styles. However, there are lots of great choices. Like others have mentioned, don't worry too much about the pickup placement just yet. I've played rock on every type of bass there is. P, PJ, JJ, MM, MMJ, HH, etc. They all worked great!

Focus on getting something that you like that plays as well as it can. At this stage in your musical career you want something that inspires you to play and that is easy to handle. There is nothing fun about muscling your way around an instrument because it's impossible to play or uncomfortable in any way.

Whatever bass you buy, I would suggest getting a "setup" at the shop with new strings. In a lot of case this would included in the purchase of a new instrument. This will adjust the truss rod, set the string height (action) to where it's comfortable, and make the bass play in tune with itself (intonation).

Tanner5382 likes this.
  10. Black Out Jazz

Black Out Jazz Gold Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2021
    location is overrated
  11. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    It’s really up to you. The GSR200 mentioned is a great beginner bass. I started on one years ago.

Black Out Jazz likes this.
  12. lark_z

lark_z Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2020
    Georgetown, TX
    Your local Craigslist and don't worry too much about the pickup configuration (PJ) at that price point. Look for a decent neck and playability.

13. Black Out Jazz

Black Out Jazz Gold Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2021
    location is overrated
    The 200 almost meets your original requirements. PJ config and cheap. Maybe you can find one for 120. Reverb is your friend. Well kinda. :D

14. Whale

Whale Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Since you are just beginning on the instrument your main priority should focus on getting a bass that is easy to play, inspires you to play, and is capable of covering the type(s) of music you wish to play.

The advice to buy a PJ bass was sound as that style of bass offers a number of advantages (and a few disadvantages, as well), but as others have said, the pickup arrangement of the bass should definitely be a secondary consideration. In fact, there are countless examples of pro-level bassists playing amazing funk and/or rock on a wide variety of basses.

It is natural that you want an optimum bass, but my advice would be to listen to those who have been playing the instrument for many years.

15. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    If you are at the stage where you are selecting your very first bass, the differences between a P and a PJ are irrelevant.

A P bass has been enough for many of the best bass players the world has known. It is not second place in the bass race.

Buy your P bass, learn how to play bass lines and enjoy what you have bought.

Worry about other stuff when it comes time to upgrade.

16. Jeremy Crockett

Jeremy Crockett Amiable Crank

17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass!!!!

We have members from all over the planet. As such, answers may differ. Roughly where are you geographically?

18. Rotideveau02

Rotideveau02

Nov 29, 2021
    hello, i'am from belgium. i thought about it a bit and i'm going to save up for the ibanez sr300 eb with a hartke hd75 amp. would you recommend?

two fingers likes this.
  19. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Sorry, though people are big on the Ibanez, I'm not a fan of that particular model.
    As for the Hartke, why buy a 75 watt amp when you can buy this for the same price?
    Screenshot-20211207-100134-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021