1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Someone said my MIA pbass looks cheap...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kakao, Dec 7, 2011.

1. kakao

kakao

Oct 4, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    I met some musician friends last week and one of bass players said 'Your PBass has cheap looking grain.' :-(
    I know mine does not have perfectly matching grain but it makes me keep looking at my bass and thinking about it.
    Does it look that bad and cheap???
    BTW he has really nice 62 AV p bass and that makes me even more angry!!! lol

image-1971519509.

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Well, that guy is an inconsiderate douche.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Tell him his mother has cheap looking grain. Your bass looks fine.

4. brenner182

brenner182

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    Not meaning to piss in your corn flakes, but i can kinda see where they might think that.

but who cares? beat it up some and make it look road worn. Or buff it every day. OR enjoy it.

5. kakao

kakao

Oct 4, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    Hahaha~ I hope he is not a member here!

6. Problemchild

Problemchild

Apr 9, 2011
    DFW
    Looks good to Me. If you are worried about it, have a good
    70's Jazz route done to her and "B*tch-slap" the really nice
    62 AV :hyper:

Wait...........:bag:

:p

7. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    looks fine to me too

8. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    The person who said that is a mean-spirited, petty, snobbish, insecure git.

Having said that, I knew it was a sunburst P even before opening the thread. To me, all bursts look cheap, and if the grain doesn't match perfectly, it's worse. However, there is no excuse to bash someone else's instrument like that.

Now, you liked something about the instrument well enough to buy it. So, does that still hold true, or not? If you like it, then that is what matters. The build quality on these is high enough that even if the grain doesn't match, the durability and sound quality will not be compromised. The important thing about a bass is how it sounds, not how it looks. If insecurity causes you to now hate the bass, then you can give it to me.

9. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Seriously? You'd listen to him??? Your bass looks great - and YOU know it!

10. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    That's an awful thing to say. It's handsome I don't get it. May I recommend Maguire's car polish, namely the 2.0 in the purple box.

11. Douches gotta douche...I think the bass is awesome. That guy can make like a library and book it.

12. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    The grain on your Pbass looks fine. Don't worry about it...he
    sounds like a real prick to me! ;)
    Dan

13. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Personally, I think yours looks great. The finish is clean and clear as a bell, the wood has some interesting and very cool striations in it and you clearly love it and take good care of it. It's always easy to knock someone else's gear when you feel the need to justify spending money on something. If he was really cool about his own gear, he'd have complimented yours. Just my 2 cents.

14. bassrock

bassrock

Jul 16, 2010
    I would love to have that bass!!!

15. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I wouldve been like...hey, there is a ding in the body too, take a closer look...cabonnnnnggggg!!!!

16. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    Your bass looks GREAT. Don't even let it get to you. That's a pretty jerky thing to say to someone. I think maybe it says more about where his head is at and has very little to do with your bass period.

I'd be happy to have a nice looking MIA P bass like that. :cool:

17. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    It looks like alder.

Maybe he prefers some other bass that looks like a coffee table.

I prefer black. I don't even see my grain :D

18. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

19. Bean639

Bean639

Aug 18, 2010
    Richmond, Va
    Its not the size of the grain that matters...

20. Frankly I can't see what he's talking about. Even with bookmatched wood, there are all sorts of pattern imperfections or odd shapes that either draw you to the bass or away from it. Your bass looks fine. In fact I prefer asymmetrical grain myself to matched sides, especially when a bass is designed with a pickguard.