Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Someone stole my baby

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chipmolter, Sep 9, 2001.

1. chipmolter

chipmolter Guest

Aug 27, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I finally decided to get the $1300 used Spector NS5CR-FM in black cherry at my local Guitar Center. Saturday morning, I picked it up, played just a bit more, put it down and got ready to go haggle the salesman down to 1150. 2 seconds after I put the bass down, this Richard Griecko looking salesguy walks in, picks up the guitar I had JUST DECIDED TO BUY, and walks back to the counter to ring it up for another customer. I'm like "Hey, what's going on?" He ignores my questions, doesn't even acknowledge that I'm there, just walks to the counter. I get up to the counter and the other customer is there. I said "What's happening? Are you buying this one?"
    The salesguy said "Oh, you wanted it?":confused: Did he think I didn't look like the kind of person who could afford one of the basses in the special booth? Is that why he didn't think it was worth his precious time to even acknowledge my presence as he tore out my heart? The customer was cool. He said "You can take it. I've already got 7 basses" I was just so pissed at the sales guy. Salesguy said "You put it down, buddy." Jerk!!!! I had put it down to look for him!!! Then the other goons chime in and start saying "Hey maybe we can charge them $1350!" I have nothing against salespeople, just the group of losers I encountered this weekend. Ugh!!!:mad: :mad:

I wasn't able to pay $1300, so I didn't have hard feelings about the other guy taking it. I ended up ordering the $1000 discontinued NS5CR from MFriend in black.

I apologize for my long windedness. I just hope I can carry on.:rolleyes: Regardless, if you guys want to see pics of the Spec when it shows up I'll be glad to post them. Yeah, black cherry flamed maple isn't that cool anyway. Sniff..

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The guy was just an @$$hole!!!!! You got a better deal w/the Musician's Friend discontinued model anyway!!!! :)

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    A music store near me has a NEW NS5CR-FM in black cherry for $1350.

4. Excellent choice there dude! I just received my Spector NS5CRFM in Black Cherry yesterday and it's absolutely awesome!

I got mine from Bass Central brand new with case for $1500. Not a bad deal. I really do like the guys at BC. They are really easy to work with. I was debating whether or not to go with MF for my new Spector, but in the end I decided it would be worth the extra couple hundred to go brand new from BC. Now I just have to get used to the 35" scale length and the weird bridge. I'm used to using screws to adjust my intonation, but these saddles are just completely free to move. I'm probably going to have to take it in to have it setup for lower action (don't want to mess with the truss rod on my brand new baby).

Overall man, I'd say you've made an excellent choice. If Nino is right in saying that the quality of the discontinued ones is as good as the new ones, you've got yourself an absolute winner on your hands!

5. chipmolter

chipmolter Guest

Aug 27, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks, guys. I feel better just being able to share my pain.;)

I'm still psyched to be getting the old model Spector. Until I saw the new finish in person, I actually was wishing they came in solid black.

On a completely unrelated topic, I went to the used music store near the music school in town and saw this crazy EUB. It's an Ampeg upright that's gotta be 30 years old. It's so wierd looking: the body is made of wood, about 1/3 the size of a normal upright, then it's surrounded by a 3 inch "bumper" made of plastic. The bridge is made of metal, either aluminum or stainless steel, and the volume knob is located right below it. The guy wanted $1600 for it. Anybody know anything about this bass?

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Did I miss something? Were you going to buy the bass or not? How much was the other guy paying for it?

Well, anyway, what did you expect? You were in GC, you know. I don't go in there without my anal face on. You just have to out-anal them.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    To paraphrase the cartoon version of Metallica:
    "GC bad!"

8. Yeah, i usually don't go into those type of stores. I usually do my shopping at Samash only cause i have a good friend who works there and he gets me discounts. But, sometime in the near future i am going to have to go to GC to get my new Rig. I guess the only plus about getting Mesa is that they can't be anymore anal than usual since all the prices are the same.

9. I realize alot of you guys hate GC for whatever reason but this story has nothing to do with GC it has to do with a few ******* employees.

I know this because I just started working at GC about a month ago.

A.) The salesguy who sold it to the other customer obviously wasn't doing his job in the first place since he should have been over to talk to you long before you even had a chance to plug into an amp, let alone test the bass, decide you want it, and then have to go find him.

B.) When they said "Maybe we could charge him $1350" they were talking out of their ass. The computer system has the Garunteed Lowest Price built into it and will not allow us to overcharge for a peice.

C.) You did the right thing by not making a scene with the other customer or with the salesguy, however you should have asked to talk to a manager (One is always on duty, usually 2 or 3 are) and told him your story right after it happened. I'm fairly sure you would have gotten some sort of compensation.

By the way, just out of curiosity, which GC was it ?

10. chipmolter

chipmolter Guest

Aug 27, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I've got no problem with GC. I went with my brother-in-law when he wanted a set of drums. We first went to a local "small-guy" shop, and the sales guy was totally pushy. We went to GC twice, and both times the guys were great. I got a compressor there and the guy took 20 minutes just to talk to me about them.

As far as why I didn't talk to a manager, I've been treated well at this GC before(Towson, MD, by the way); I didn't need to give anybody a hard time just to get a couple of patch cords. Didn't want to ruin the customer's day either; I thought he was a real nice guy. I'll still be going back there this week to test amps and pick one up. Plus, it helped me make up my mind. I wasn't sure before whether I should get the new or old model, now I was.

Like I said, I've got no beef with GC. The sales people are more knowledgable and, with the exception of the 3 a$$es I met this weekend, more courteous than the average sales person at the small shops I've been in.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Most of the people I deal with at GC (formerly Venemans) in Rockville are pretty cool, whether I'm buying or not. Haven't had any issues with Towson but they aren't as willing to deal as Rockville.

For used Spectors, Atomic Music in College Park is great.

In the future, if you find a bass you really want to buy, don't put it down;)

12. chipmolter

chipmolter Guest

Aug 27, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    In a gravelly voice: "If you want this bass, you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands! You damn, dirty apes!"

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Don't forget to spit when you say that. Salespeople respond to this

:D

14. Really? I just started at the podium about 10 weeks ago.

I think I'm due for a promotion.:)

Hey, maybe you know. Are any of the west coast stores going to be getting shipments of Spector? We have about 5 in the entire building, all used. I would really like to see a better selection in basses at my store. Too many Yamaha and Fenders.

Rock on
    Eric

15. Guys,

I'm like you. When I'm ready to buy a bass, it's a LOT of money. I want to be paid attention to. I want to be pampered. I want to feel like I am worth getting to know.

That is why I never never never never buy a bass from a music chain store! With the price you pay there, you're paying for higher overhead, less service, and less satisfaction. I'll go to GC or Mars if I want a polishing cloth or a strap, but NEVER will I subject myself to the poor, ill-informed, lackadaisical attitude that I CONSISTENTLY get from chain stores.

If you've scoped talkbass long enough, you see the same retailers mentioned over and over. These guys are businesses, sure, but they're also interested in US! Give the small business owner your money. He needs it more, and he'll reward you a lot more than some high school drop out at a chain store.

I feel a lot better now.

16. Words to live by! If I find a bass I like in a store I don't put it down for fear of what happened here.

17. chipmolter

chipmolter Guest

Aug 27, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I think I might march in to Guitar Center and "mark"(a la Fido) all the basses I might be interested in. Then NOBODY else would want them.:eek: :eek: :eek:

18. Jebis

Jebis Guest

Nov 28, 2000
    Long Beach, CA
    Ditto.

19. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    I got to know the bass salesman at my local music store quite well - we are on first names basis. This way when I visit the store to get accesories and look at new basses, he recognises me, and gives me excellent service. It helps when my church spends 100s of thousands of bucks on gear from them. He got me an SKB case for less than half price once. I still buy most of my expensive stuff from the US online though.

20. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    sorry to hear about your GC incident,

I myself think that these guys don't worth dealing with if thats the service u got from them.
    regarding the other customer- was he buying that bass 2 seconds after you just played it and had that "Urika!" smile?
    if so then this guy bought the bass just because you showed interest in it, hell!! he has 7 basses and walks into a store and buys a bass without even playing it?! he must be a great fan of return policies.

p.s. I hate the black cherry finish, whats that all black laziness on the back? give me a plum stain or a natural oil finish!