Someone talk me out of a Fodera...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by silvermaneZ, Jan 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    So I have played Lakland 55-94s for the last 15 years and absolutely love them. HOWEVER, I was at Bass Central last fall and played one of the Matthew Garrison signature Fodera that they have. I was blown away by how good that bass is, and have not been able to get it out of my mind. Is there anyone here who would tell me I am nuts to drop $9000 on that bass? My current gig is playing praise and worship music at a large church.

Glenn Johnson and Pbassmanca like this.
  2. Garret Graves

Garret Graves Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Rosemead, Ca
    If you can do the purchase, and you want the bass- do it! Only you know if you can justify the expense based on your finances. Many nice basses are in the hands of people who have them because they can buy them, and that’s really it. I have a simple car and a nice bass. But I could have a nicer car, it’s just not important to me.

Relayer71, Iwish, GERBY and 20 others like this.
  3. Owning the most coveted bass in the world is like dating the most beautiful woman in the world—whether it’s true or not, doubts and insecurities will enter your mind that she is out of your league, and you don’t deserve her.

Unless you’re from Texas, then you totally deserve her, and she’d be crazy to dump you.

4. JW56789

JW56789 Guest

Feb 18, 2017
    OK, since you asked:

HEY ! ! You're nuts to drop 9 grand on a bass.

Consider yourself told.

5. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

May 20, 2002
    Provided content for Genzler Amplification
    It’s worth it if the instrument speaks to you. Fodera makes some very nice instruments and they stand behind their product.
    Personally, they don’t speak to me, but I recognize that they built a fine bass.

6. You only live once my man. Make your life enjoyable as possible while you are here. Buy it. :thumbsup:

Iwish, panm, fclefgeoff and 9 others like this.
  7. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Just think of how paranoid you'll become when you take your $9,000 bass out of the house, even to your church.

As nice as they are, are they worth the paranoia?

8. Wrong place to be talked out of it.

9. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    That's a fantastic bass but it's beyond my personal spending limit.

But if I owned a bass like that I'd play it everywhere I could. It would be too good to leave at home!

Lee Moses and Dr. Cheese like this.
  10. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    It is too good to leave at home, but it's also too good to leave anywhere... you'd have it chained to your wrist the whole time!

11. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Hmph. Just get a nice used Squier.

12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    That's what I was going to say. YOLO.

For me, I'd have to take just a few things into consideration. 1st would be having a car and a garage. I don't want to walk from the street to my apartment with $9000 on my back at 3AM, but I live in NYC and lean towards being a tad paranoid about that stuff. Was almost mugged a few months ago.

If I had no issues with that, my only other question would be whether or not I could afford it. If I could, I'd buy it. If I needed to finance it or it was going to make me sweat any of my other bills or responsibilities, I wouldn't.

Thinking about it now, that last line there is all that would matter to me.

[edit] Ya know, thinking about some discussions I've been having with people lately, and an article I recently read about people being in debt - if you don't have $9000 cash that you can spare to buy it with right now, don't do it. You can't afford it, and it would be irresponsible. End of story.

13. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I'd advise caution. If you really consider dropping 9k on a bass, there are other options than Fodera that should be taken into account. Play a few more in that range. Then decide.

14. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Can you justify spending that much money on a bass?
    If someone not familiar with the Fodera name asked you how much your new bass cost would you be ashamed to say you spent $9,000 for it, would you be proud, or would the amount not even matter.
    Is there something wrong with your current bass?
    Do you need to replace it? Will it become your backup bass?
    These might be questions Geddy Lee would have no problem answering.
    However, these are questions Mr. Spock would ask.

15. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

Please hear the thoughts.
    1. f you want it (and all the other parameters), then by all means get it.
    2. As someone who has made some not too brilliant financial moves, and suffered greatly from them, Think before you spend.

16. kinopah

kinopah

Oct 19, 2014
    NC
    I think it comes down to what you dig AND what you can afford. I have one of the least expensive Fodera models (which is obviously still a lot for a bass), and I couldn't be happier with it. It plays and sets up brilliantly, it's articulate and easily the most responsive bass I've played, and I just really connect with it. But if it put me in a position where I was in a stressful financial bind because of it, it wouldn't be worth it. Like others have said, I would worry about keeping it pristine as an investment, or I'd worry about whether I was "getting what I paid for" out of it. I can't imagine owning a bass like a Fodera and then not playing it anywhere/everywhere or stressing that it'll get lost or damaged.

I sold off some stuff I don't miss to get mine, so that stuff doesn't bug me (at least any more than it would any other bass I liked).

I guess I'm just saying "do the math" twice, and if you're in a good spot for it ABSOLUTELY go for it.

17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    OP, you already play a bass that can run $4,000+ (Lakland 55-94,) so I assume you have a decent income. Do you receive a salary from your church? If so, maybe you could recoup some of you payment for a Fodera as a business expense on your taxes. Maybe you simply have the money and you can afford it.

SleeperHit, BBQisgood and detoxxx like this.
  18. otp57

otp57

Oct 10, 2016
    It sounds like this is the BASS for you( you said I have not been able to get it out of my mind).
    If you can get the bass you only have one life to live.
    Many people will pay $9000 and up of a rock to put on a finger.
    I wanted a Good Bass boat and told my self it was to much money.
    I lost a good friend who was almost my age he also had tons of money.
    I got the boat because I can't take the money with me if I DIE.

19. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    Barrackville WV
    Believe it or not, people drop more than 9k on a professional flute or trumpet everyday. The big question is can you afford it? If you can then you are not nuts.

Relayer71, B-Mac, SleeperHit and 9 others like this.
  20. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Argument against using TB Orthodoxy:
    Just buy an SX p copy and put flats on it. It will sound the same since tone is all in your fingers.