Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Someone talk me out of a Lakland Joe Osborn

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jive1, Jun 21, 2005.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I really don't need a Lakland Joe Osborn, but I've been GASing for a Skyline JO. I don't have the money available now, and I have 2 SX Jazzes that I souped up that fill whatever needs I have to a J Bass. But, I love my Lakland 4-94s and the JO has three things that my SX doesn't. String through body, small frets, and superb craftmanship. I love my Laklands so much, I am GASin for another.

2. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Do it. You need it. You can't live without it. You must own it.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    As you wish.

Don't get it, you're only feeding the addiction...

...Really though, get it.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Sell your SXs and buy the JO.

Easy. :D

5. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Nope, not going to do it.

6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Why talk you out of one? Heck, I've got a DJ5 on order and I'm already gassing for a JO. :D

[turns on Homer Simpson voice]

mmmmmm . . . Lindy Fralins . . . mmmmm.

[turns off Homer Simpson voice]

Seriously -- they turn up used now and then (why that happens is beyond me). ;)

7. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    I put some time and money into them, and it's nice to have a "sleeper" in the stable. But it may have to be a possibility.

8. If it is a Usa Joe Osborn go for it!!!... If it is a Skyline get a Darryl Jones... :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

9. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Nope, the Darryl Jones has too radiused of a fretboard (7.25) for my liking. I prefer the flatter fretboard of the JO.

Also a big reason why I like my SX (12" radius)

10. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000

11. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I was told they were the same...

12. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Depends on if you are getting a four or a fiver. The DJ5 has a 12" radius fretboard, which is basically the same as the JO5 (listed as 10-13"). :D

The DJ4, OTOH, has the small radius fretboard (7.25) compared to the JO4 (10")

13. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    That bass is a homewrecker, and a smelly one too :spit:

:bag:

14. I have a solution... since you don't really need it, you can buy it and give it to me. That way you have the feeling of buying new gear without the burden of owning it. :)

15. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Actually, how about sending me the money so I can get the experience of buy the bass and trying it out, and then when I'm tired of it, I'll send it to you. The added bonus is that you can tell your friends that you own a bass that was played by the Jive1. Win-win situation for both of us :hyper:

PM me when you've sent the $800 :D

16. everytime someone buys a lakland JO, God kills a kitten

:ninja:

you know you want to buy it

17. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I loved mine but.... it was a heavy sucker. Definetly try before you buy. The guy handed me it from behind the counter, I took a seat on the stool, plugged it into the amp next to the counter, and bought it. I didn't realize how heavy it was until I strapped it on for a while. Other than that, I loved it.

18. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    The Skylines J.O.s really vary in weight. I had a heavy one. I've seen lighter ones and one that was even heavier. I loved it. It sounded great and I had the sweetest set up on it. I sold it because of the weight and I wanted to try a Metro. I liked the sound of the J.O. better than the Metro when the Sadowsky was in passive mode. I would still love to get a USA J.O. to go with my other USA Laklands.

19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Would you be going with the 4 or 5 string model?.

20. +1 it would be a sin to talk ya out of it!