Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Someone tell me why...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hategear, Apr 10, 2001.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Here is my problem: I am in a band that is becoming fairly successful in my area. We are gigging between 3 and 5 times a month. I get along with and like everyone in my band. The problem is when I am doing my sound check, or when we are doing band introductions during a set, I sometimes play one of several little "ditties" that I know. They range from easy-as-hell riffs to somewhat complex walking basslines. The problem is that someone (usually our guitarist) will inevitably start playing something over my thing and I feel like I am being "stepped on." Is this just me? Am I being too sensitive about this issue? What are your opinions as to why it happens? Does it happen to any of you? I should mention that more often than not, what the guitarist plays over me is seldom in the same key as what I am playing - he just tries to ad-lib something and it usually ends up sounding like poo.

Hategear a.k.a. Cameron(ius)

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey there

first off, are you playing to get some volume levels set? because if so, then he needs to be quiet until you're done. if you're just noodling around, i would suggest that you try to give the guitarist some idea of what you are doing so that he could noodle around with you, which would sound better than him just wanking over you.

3. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I am talking about showing off a little when I am introduced by our vocalist. Or even before we have started playing and I am trying to impress some honey in the front. Can't they let me be who I am? If I was a guitar player, I wouldn't want the singer to be yelling right smack in the middle of my blistering solo.

Cameronius Hategear (again)

4. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Not that I would ever be a guitar player.

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, i guess you could tell him that you wanted to impress some honeys and he needs to shut up.

or you could play somthing like one of these...

[​IMG]

works for me - people pay attention, regardless of what the guitarists are doing :D

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Shouldn't this be under "Amps". Sounds like you need a louder one

JUST KIDDING:D

7. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    You people are missing the train. I can't believe that no one else has ever had to deal with a bandmate that won't give up the spotlight for a second or two.

Also, if I had basses like those, I would start swinging one of 'em like a club until the guitarist shut up! Hee hee.

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, that also works. :D

9. Hmmm...JT, don't you need some new 'family' pctures? Haven't you had a couple additions since that photo was taken? :D:p

Ok, back to the topic at hand now...
    I'm usually the humble, low-key guy (with the most expensive instrument in the band, but that's an added bonus. :D:p) and if I noodle around, it's NOT to impress anyone, it's just out of boredom. Then if the guitarist likes it, he'll ask me what I'm playing. I let him watch my hands for a while and he throws a little something over it. It USUALLY sounds good, but when it doesn't, he usually stops before anyone else has to tell him "That sounded like crap." :D

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, you are correct, sir. i think it's about time for a new familly shot.

11. I can't wait! haha. I show everyone those pics.

12. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    <Sigh>

13. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    sigh

14. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    I don't have that problem cause all of the people in my band are good, awsome in fact, so we all respect each other, expecially if we are showing off.

Another thing, I wouldn't have a problem with my guitar player doing that while I was dicking around, if I were you I would point him to a theory book, that way he will play in the same key, I know mine would.

15. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I know what you mean. And guitarists always get frustrated when they can't figure out what to play over your bassline, causing them to crank up and drown you out. Or, they'll stop you and say, "That's neat. Check out this guitar thing though......"
    Unfortunately, I can't solve your problem.

16. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    On one hand..
    If your playing the same riffs each time then he'll just think your messing about and it doesn't matter if he does his stuff,

But playing over your introduction is not right... Personally I'd tell him that you'd like to work on a groove with him, and work it out so you play a riff and he plays a riff then back and forth it a bit - and get the vocalist to introduce you both.

No blood spilt, no bad feelings, and possibly a nice little feature for both of ya.