Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Someone want to do me a favor?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by 311fan, Mar 1, 2006.

1. 311fan

311fan

Jul 20, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Well everything was going well with my custom bass until I came upon one problem. I need to plane the body wings by a few centimeters. I don't have a thickness planer and I don't plan on buying one anytime soon. I don't know what to do so I was thinking maybe if I shipped them to someone with a thickness planer, they could plane them for me and send them back. Is this a stupid idea? Is there another way for me to plane them with out the help of a thickness planer?

2. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    hey bro, what kind of wood are we talking about. I'm just down in SLC so we might be able to work something out.

edit- I forgot to tell you, my planer is nothing special, just a small table top one, what are the dimentions of the pieces?

3. Do you have a router with a flat-bottomed bit? You could set up a jig to thickness it using the rounter. I do have a thickness planer, but this is how I do it if I need to get under 3/16".

4. 311fan

311fan

Jul 20, 2004
    Salt Lake City

Its Black Korina 2 peices about 5"x20"

5. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    cool, I can run that, let me know if you wanna cruize down and plane it.

6. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    This was to be my suggestion as well, and is exactly what I will be doing not to long from now to take a bit of weight off of my body and step the neck-through up.

7. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    IS there a joinery or other woodworking business within a few miles? Go ther with your planks and a cake and talk to the guys in the shop. I bet you a bite of that cake that you will have what you want in 5 minutes.
    You might not even need a cake - I don't when I do that trick. Twice for free, twice for $2 each...

8. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    What about one of those "Saf-T-Plane" bits?