1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

someone who does good setups in NYC?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by quadrogong, Aug 8, 2007.

1. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    i remember sadowsky had suggested someone in NY to setup basses.I couldn't find his info on their site.

I usually go to Ritchie baxt,for small jobs..wiring,etc..

but I'm looking for someone else to setup an old fender that's really special to me. someone really great, thnx,kev

why is there a "hand poured worms" ad on talkbass? fishing tackle? i think they figured the wrong kinda "bass"

2. Phantopeth

Phantopeth

Jan 10, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've heard good things about the guys at 30th St Guitar, and hopefully very soon, I'll be able to let you know personal, as my Rickenbacker is there right now getting some neck repair, and then a full setup.

Also, I can say that the guys at Sam Ash on 48th did a bang-up job on my roomates Fender J, and that was with the added variable of it being strung BEAD. I've rarely played a nicer playing instrument than that J after they set it up.

3. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    Check out Nurio Imai on 20th. His address is on the sadowsky website. He used to work at sadowsky before going out on his own.

He is very very skilled.

4. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    30th st guitars is a great,great place,
    great stuff,reputable,and my friend Doug,who works there,is as good as good guys come,

I had my stingray set up there..they're good,but they overlooked a hump in the neck that someone else later discovered..
    I wouldn't ever discourage anyone from going there,
    it's NYC's best collection of vintage guitars,(bass section's a little smaller)
    they treat me right,and do good work.

but i'm looking for someone really special,to take my better basses to,for a general looking-at/setup.
    I usually do that after buying a new axe.probably going to try that fellow Nurio Imai,
    http://www.imai-guitars.com/about.html
    his site is super impressive

5. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    A friend of mine gets all of his high end guitars worked on only by Norio. That same guy has used people that set up guitars for the rockstars in LA. That being said, you will get a top notch job, but I believe there is quite a premium for it.

6. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    my friend Will uses Rudys' guy now for years, and swears by him.. and Will really knows his stuff..hmm, now i have 2 guys!

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    + 1

I've used several places in NYC for set-ups and minor repairs, including Rudy's and Norio Imai, and can recommend them both. Norio does fine work - but he doesn't come cheap...

MM

8. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
  9. Carl Thompson used to set-up all of my basses and he'd RUTHLESSLY heckle me for owning a Carvin 5!! ;)

10. +1 He did a killer setup on my Sadowsk strat when he worked with Roger.

11. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    no doubt about it...

norio imai!

12. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    thank u all:)

13. csala

csala

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca

Me too! He once told me, after setting up my USA Spector, that Stuart Spector should be making shoes and not basses! But man did he know how to set up my 8 string Hamer with dual truss rods. He made the thing play like butta.

14. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Matt at 30th st. Every time I bring a guitar there that hasn't been worked on by him, I walk away after going "Damn...that's nice..."

15. rkgtech

rkgtech

Sep 16, 2007
    new york city
    I have been thinking of calling him. What is considered expensive? I just paid 85 for my acoustic bass set up (without strings). I am considering taking my SR506 for a set up to Imai.

Thanks guys

16. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Just call him and get a quote. Or if you can, bring your instrument in so he can look at it. Then you'll know...

MM

17. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    Endorser:Fender User:Rotosound, LaBella, Ashdown, Lindy Fralin
    If you're willing to trek it out to Staten Island there is Mandolin Brothers, one of the most respected vintage repair shops in the country.

18. Check out the guys at Matt Uminov on Bleeker St. they spend a lot of time with you making sure that they do exactly what you want.

19. rkgtech

rkgtech

Sep 16, 2007
    new york city
    I did end up calling norio. pretty steep prices and very nice to talk to. he asked me to bring it in so he can let me know the exact quote, but gave me a starting price.. gotta save up for that :) i will also wait for my TIs + conklin strings to come in since I am doing a E-e/F stringing on it.

I did, meanwhile get the action as low as possible. Tweaked the truss rod a bit. There MIGHT be 2 problem frets (12+) but dont want to radius it yet.. leave it for the experts I guess.

Thanks much guys!

20. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    http://newyorkguitarrepair.com/

I read i few good things about this place but i can't tell you from personal experience,maybe someone from here knows about this guy.