Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Someone's going to slap me..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grey, Feb 10, 2005.

1. grey

grey

May 13, 2004
    for asking these questions again, but whenever I read other threads I just end up more confused....

1. I just bought a new rack-mountable head - does anyone have any cheap/lightweight bags/cases they could recommend?

Having only ever dealt with combo's before, I'm a complete cab noob

2. It's a 350 watt head...what sort of range of wattage on a cab should I be looking for?

3. Does anyone have a link to guidance as to how different speaker configurations sound? i.e how would it sound if I got a 1x15 vs a 2x12?

thanks

2. I suppose your amp is 350 watt at 4ohm, so you need a 4ohm cab, or 2 8ohm cabs.
    All cab combinations sound diffirent, I suggest you try some combinations and cabs at your local store or something like that

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i think there's a bunch of rack bag companies out there, if your head is a two space (3.5" high) i would probably go with a three space bag for ventilation.

what kinda head is it anyway?

anyhow, cabinets that can handle 350 watts are common, and your amp probably only puts out about 200 watts at 8 ohms, so any 8 ohm cabinets would be fine. like's been said, you can go with 2 8 ohm cabs or one 4 ohm one.

as for cabinet configurations, i reccomend taking your bass and head to a bunch of stores and trying out a bunch of cabs. there are no hard and fast rules anymore about how different diameter speakers sound as the cabinet designs (and speaker designs) vary sooooooooo much.

4. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Also, not all cabs combos sound the same. For example SWR and Ampeg 4x10's sound NOTHING alike. But there are generalities regarding 4x10's, 2x10's, 2x12's, 1x15's, 2x15's, 1x18's, 1x12, 1x10, 2x8 and every other combination under the sun. Someone can go into better detail than myself, for exmaple Tombowlus is a wealth of information about cabinets.

5. grey

grey

May 13, 2004
    It's a Hartke Transient Attack 3500

so yes, 350 watts at 4 ohms.

Initially, I just need to get a cheap cab to be able to use it. I play both 4 and 5 string, so need something that can handle the low B.

as an example, behringer are pretty much as cheap as it gets....

If I were to get one of their BB210's....600watt 'power handling' and 8 Ohms impedance - wouldn't I need a 4 Ohm cab?

Imagining that this was a 4 Ohm cab, would the power handling be ok?

6. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you can use any impedance at or ABOVE the 4 ohm minimum load of the hartke head. that pretty much gives you the option of 1 4 ohm cab, 2 8 ohm cabs (which will run in parallel at 4 ohms), or 1 8 ohm cab probably getting 200 watts or so. I would say bring your 5 string and the hartke head and try out a bunch of stuff in your area, and find out the impedance and power handling of the cabs. as long as you get 8 ohm cabs at 200 watts power handling or above, or a 4 ohm cab that can handle at least 350 watts you'll be fine.

7. grey

grey

May 13, 2004
    Thanks! That's great. I normally have no trouble understanding anything technical or scientific, but theres something about all this head/cab matching that does my head in, hehe

8. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I can give you one piece of wisdom about that head:
    Protect it from the vibration of the cabinet either by using a soft rack bag thats padded, a full bore shock mount road case or a piece of foam undreneath it.

They have a real and well documented problem with the circuit tracings and solder joints when they get vibrated.

They're good heads. They just don't handle that abuse real well.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    This man speaks the truth. Mine went to the shop a couple times for this very reason. I used to set it directly on top of my 215, no rack case or pad.

-Mike

10. grey

grey

May 13, 2004
    thanks guys! Until I get a case for it, would you recommend placing it something else other than the cab in the mean time?

Ok....just seen an Ampeg SVT-15E .....

Frequency Response (-3 dB): 50 Hz - 3 kHz
    Maximum SPL: 123 dB
    Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
    Program Handling: 400 Watts
    RMS Handling: 200 Watts
    Sensitivity: 98 dB
    Usable Low Frequency (-10dB): 33 Hz

Pro's/Con's of using that?

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Since you plan on getting a rack for it, don't get anything too fancy. A piece of thick foam would work for now. That is what I started using. The piece I used was 4" thick.

-Mike

12. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well 1st off, for the most part the only wattage rating you want to look at is RMS. as an 8 ohm speaker it'll probably only get 200 watts from your head so that's great. the only thing i would look at is the sensitivity. 98 dB isn't all that unusual for a single 15, although i've seen some around 103. Even so, sensitivity usually gets rated at 1 kHz, so depending upon the voicing of that cab, it could be plenty loud. just try it out.