1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Somethin funny goin on here.... techies, help me debunk this...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Jun 13, 2012.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    Director of Commercial Sales - Neural DSP
    So there's been this add popping up locally for an "Audio" company wherein the fellow claims to be able to instantly increase the bass response and SPL of ANY musical instrument speaker enclosure. Using a "specialized polymer compound" he sprays this stuff directly onto the speaker cones and "adds suspended mass" to the drivers and instantly creates a "deeper and more musical response" from your tired old vintage 30's or Eminence woofers.

This sounds like hooey to me, and adding mass to speaker cones seems like it will definitely change the T/S parameters... but in a dangerous and unhealthy way... not a "more musical" way.....

Anyone? I'm told the secret sauce "smells like hairspray"

2. It’s voodoo monkey baloney - keep that $#!t spray away from your drivers.

3. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    My guess is that the "specialized polymer compound" damps the higher frequencies, making it seem as though it creates a "deeper and more musical response".

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That's exactly what it will do. The most obvious change is to Fs, but when you change one spec you change them all. Will the driver go lower? Yes. But the first rule of acoustical engineering is that there's no such thing as a free lunch. In return for lower response midrange response will be lost and overall sensitivity reduced.
    BTW, the 'specialized polymer compound' is probably acrylic spray, which is used by many speaker manufacturers to weatherproof cones and add a 'wet look'. A few coats will have very little effect on parameters. And as for a "deeper and more musical response" from your tired old vintage 30's or Eminence woofers, driver suspensions continue to soften with age, for decades, so older drivers go lower than newer ones anyway.

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I was thinking the spray texture looking stuff you see on the back of some woofers, stereo speakers, etc. to add mass. Don't know why you would want to do that to a Vintage30.:meh:

I would think spraying enough of the "wet look" stuff on the front to considerably stiffen the cone would throw everything out of whack.