Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Something about Fender MIM necks...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Anyone else hate the finish on MIM necks? They feel so... not glossy. But in a bad way. One of the things that turns me off about MIMs is the way the neck feels, it's like my old Squier all over again. The Jazz necks are ok, and believe me, I do like P necks in general as well, but the necks on MIM P's just don't feel good enough for me. I played an ok Midnight Wine one today but the other 2 were just bland. The point is, does anyone feel this way too? I'll check the details in a bit but I do know that the finishes are different. Maybe polyurethane (on MIA) vs polyester (on MIM)?

2. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I love my MIM P-bass neck!
    Fits my hand perfect and i glide like a king! :bassist:

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i took the finish off my mim p-bass like a dumb ass, because i was used to play my stingray. now that i have an mia p-bass, i wish i had not.

4. goodguy782

goodguy782

Jul 20, 2004
    california
    im new and stupid, whats mim and mia? I have a highway 1 J bass does this mean my neck sucks?

5. MIA means made in America, MIM made in Mexico. Highway ones feel like MIMs, in terms of neck finish, in my experience. The playability seems to be better in my opinion, but I still don't like the feel. I don't hate MIMs or anything, I just don't like the finish on the neck. A thick gloss can be sticky, sure, but MIM necks just don't feel good to me.

6. goodguy782

goodguy782

Jul 20, 2004
    california
    so do i basically have like the cheapest version of MIA? I can still return it but I got it for 500 and thought it was a good price for a bass to learn on. I was on a rouge 80 dollar special before so this was a big jump for me. Any suggestions on if i should return the highway for something else or what is a good bass to learn on?

7. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    if you dont like it, return it. get a used american. if you dont like used, save for a new mia, i bet you will love the neck.

8. The Highway Ones are great basses, and so are the MIMs. If you like it, keep it. I'm just talking about a personal peeve of mine regarding their necks. The MIA standard necks definitely feel better in my opinion. Keep your H1, it's a great bass.

9. goodguy782

goodguy782

Jul 20, 2004
    california
    Thanks, I just needed someone to tell me if i was getting a good deal on a good bass or not. I think its a MIA too, so why does it feel like a MIM? I just want to soak up as much knowledge as i can about basses, i think im becoming addicted, :D

10. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I feel exactly the same way. Something about the mim Fender necks just bug me. I have never been able to explain it in any real detail. I just know that when I pick up a mia jazz or P-bass they just feel better, they play better, etc.

I will be buying a MIA Fender Jazz V soon. I'm willing to wait and spend the extra money for a MIA.

My daughter plays a mim Jazz and I really don't like it much. It's been set up, and I still don't like it. She thinks it's fine and that I'm crazy but what can I say.

11. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Nothing at all wrong with my MIM P's neck. I have no problem gliding up and down it.

12. lenorules1950

lenorules1950

Aug 20, 2004
    Meriden, CT
    MIMs are all I have, so that's all I know- and I like the the feel of the necks. Come to think of it, I've never played a MIA for comparison.

13. Well it definitely plays alright. Generally speaking it's almost the same (if not identical) shape as the MIA necks. It's just that the finish bugs me. Like although I'll play it and it'll play alright, I just feel a slight discomfort that makes it impossible to enjoy the neck. I think even the fretboard bugs me. It's really dark and almost "wet" looking, while on my MIA it's lighter and nice and dry looking and feeling. It just feels better on the whole. Keep the comments coming.

14. lenorules1950

lenorules1950

Aug 20, 2004
    Meriden, CT
    I dunno man. I fell in love with the feel of my MIM Jazz neck the first time I tested it. I do wonder though if they use the same fingerboard material for my Mike Dirnt Precision, which is made in Mexico, as they do for American basses , because I notice a similar difference between my Dirnt and my other Mexican Fenders- it's like the wood is lighter and not as "wet" looking.

15. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

My MIM Jazz neck is personally the best neck i've ever played on. Nice and slim, comfortable. Nothing bad about it.

16. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Goodguy;
    As it happens I like the HWY 1 Jazz a lot and if you got a new one for $500 you stole it. If you got a clean used one for $500 you still didn't do bad. In my opinion the neck on the HWY 1 is truly outstanding and if I could have gotten one to use on my parts Jazz I would have done so. If you like it that's all that counts.

Now as soon as I've said that, someone will tell me that those necks are all over the place on the Mexican Jazzes. Oh, well...

17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Wow, I actually really like the finish on the only MIM I've played for any length of time -- MIM Jazz with medium Fender flats. The neck was really, really comfortable to me, actually. Weeeeird.

18. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    I love my MIM jazz neck. It has a very nice countour profile. I do find the MIM necks to be thinner from front to back than the MIA's. As far as the finish, No matter what kind of finish you have it may not have been buffed or polished to give a really slick surface. The fretboard on my bass needed a good polish when I got it. Go to an auto parts store and get some 2000 grit wet dry paper, "the black sandpaper" and yes that is two-thousand grit. You can use this to micropolish the finish on the neck. It will be very smooooth. It takes a little time to do, because your only removing a very small amount of material. That is ok though, cause you do not want to remove much, just level out the surface of the finish. I did this to my fretboard and it really brought the shine out in the wood, gave it a nice healthy glow! Just go slow and do not rush. You can still take off a lot of material! Use the paper dry.
    I have used the procedure on damaged plexiglass aircraft windows. It works very well, even with very damged parts. In these applications you start with a much coarse'er grit and gradually work to finer and finer grits. You eventually end up back at clear plexiglass after finishing with a 6000 grit. Since your starting on a good finish to begin with, you can just use 2000 and should have a good finish. Try this before stripping that poly finish next time.

19. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I'd take an MIM neck over a MIJ anyday. That 1/8" of gloss ain't for me.

20. I think I know what you're saying about the gloss on the back on the MIM necks.

I have a MIM fretless IV - sometimes my hands get so clammy and sweaty that my hand starts to stick to the neck. Nasty. I wipe it down between songs if I can with the cleaning cloth.

Other than that, and perhaps the height of the strings (I should get that looked at), then there's nothing wrong with mine. I like it. :smug: