Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Something Awful

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Feb 19, 2006.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I'm curious about this forum. My brother is a member and insists it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I'm hesitant because the way he described it made it sound really snobbish. I checked it out a bit, it seemed snobbish. Plus, they don't have a ban on swaring, which bugs me because people use a sware for just about everything in those situations, and it makes the word meaningless.

Just wondering if there are any members here, and if so what do you think?

Mods if this breaks the rules let me know, I'll delete it.

Edit: I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT TALKBASS. THIS SITE IS GREAT. I'M REFERRING TO ANOTHER INTERNET WEBSITE/FORUM, KNOWN AS THE SOMETHING AWFUL FORUMS.

2. Hi. Yeah we're pretty snobbish, you shouldn't join.

3. XIbanez4lifeX

XIbanez4lifeX

Nov 15, 2005
    Ohio,USA
    Snobbish??

If you have something to say.....say it,
    If you see some usefull information....use it,

Don't concern yourself with whether or not you are being accepted.

It is simply Talkbass, so come in and talk bass!!

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Something Awful is always worth a look about...Dunno about the forums though.

5. Time to pull some feet out of your mouths.

Mike

6. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Something Awful is great - Photoshop phriday makes my day every weekend. I've never visited the forums though.

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Did anyone see the guy from SA on G4TV? My buddy showed me the clip. It was pretty amusing. I couldn't tell if the host was in on it or if he was really getting mad.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Link?

brad cook

9. Hey dhc, good to see you again.

The only thing I've seen on Something Awful scared the living hell outta me, so I haven't been back. Creepy site.

Rock on
    Eric

10. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Huh?

But yeah I think that site is hilarious. The Comedy Goldmine section cracks me up. The Dead Baby Shrine story is awesome. PM for link.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I think I'm going to pass on a visit to that site. The little bit I have read here makes it apparent it may be a site that will bother me.

-Mike

12. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Wasn't the "Worst Roomate In Existence" story on SA?

That was the one whose roomate flipped out, started selling drugs from their place and destroyed all the plumbing fixtures in his part of the apartment. The guy posting the story had duct-taped his door to seal out the crazy roomate. He had a bedroom and bathroom in his part and avoided any contact with the rest of the apartment, where the crazy roomate was getting crazier and crazier.

It's a pretty hilarious and well written story. But be aware that I am REALLY hard to gross out. And it kind of made me gag a couple of times.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My roommate's a goon. Swears by the SA forums.

Spends almost as much time there as I do here. And those who know me, know that's a LOT of time.

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Yes, there is some of that stuff on the site, but there's also some wickedly funny, non-gross stuff too.

15. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI

Just like anything else. At school or a job, or an internet community you will find snobs, jerks, idiots, nice people, cool people, smart people, dumb people, good bass players, bad bass players etc. Just have fun with it and avoid the idiots or the people that you do not agree with. There a a few people I can't stand really, but 99% are cool, nice, smart people. This board is heavily moderated, and content and opinion can also be moderated outside of bass related topics. But for bass guitar, there is NOTHING better on the net than TB! I can live with that!

16. We wouldn't really want you anyway.

17. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    So does everyone know that this guy is talking about another forum called Something Awful, and the remarks about snobbishness are for THAT forum? ;)

Thanks for the heads up, I like random sites.

18. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    You don't have a 3 k bass?

Bye bye

19. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV

That story was Great!

True or not...I saved it on my computer

Haven't bothered to read it again....but now I'm going to have to.

hahahaha

20. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    SA is what got me to stop posting here for the most part. :-/

Best forums on the internet, if you ask me. The $10 buy in and no-tolerance rules when it comes to bad posting and idiots is great.