Something besides Eminance please........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Petebass, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've built a couple of bass wedge cabs recently. The single 15 is working brilliantly (ATC speaker) but the 2x10 has some cheap no-name drivers that I found in the garage, so it needs better drivers. Seems that the only raw speakers readilly available are bloody Eminance, which is fine if you like them - but I don't. I had some Fender cabs at one stage that had Eminance drivers and I could never pull a decent sound out of em - so I don't really wanna go back there......

I thought about Eden 10's but they're $150US each. All up that's $600 AUS plus shipping - too much. Any other suggestions?
  2. Crate used to use Celestions. They stopped puttin' em' in before I started bass and noone liked em since. Im not sure if they used celestions for bass though. A lot of guitarists DIG Celestion Speakers.

By the way, it's *Eminence*, not Eminance:)
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Thanks for that. I'll look into it but to be honest, I'm not sure about Celestion.... I was told that the reason guitarists like em is they're designed to distort a little. A lot of guitar speakers are designed that way, especially the vintage ones. From my experience companies that make make great guitar amps usually make ordinary bass rigs and vice versa, but that's another topic I guess.
  4. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I think you may be selling Eminence speakers short.

Eminence is one of the most experienced speaker manufacturers in the sound reinforcement industry, providing speakers of varying grades to a wide variety of amp and cab makers.

The cabs you used probably had one of their lower-line speakers (spec-ed by the cab maker, no doubt).

I suspect if you selected speakers nearer the top of their line -- say the Kappa series -- you might be pleasantly surprised.
  5. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I agree with JCamdus, don't rule Eminence out. It may have even been the cab you owned previously. Eminence supplies speakers for nearly everyone (US manufacturers) these days. There is a reason for that. Otherwise, there is JBL, EV, and... I'm going blank. But there are others. None will be particularly cheap.
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Maybe I should reconsider. I visited the website of a music store here in Oz that sell Eminence. The Kappa is 500w and that don't stock em in 10inch. I like my speakers to have similar wattage to my amp so I'm now considering the Delta 10's (200w, $185AUS each). I wonder if I can get 4 ohm versions (wire in series to get a total 8 ohm load)

While I was surfing around, I spotted a company called P.Audio - Has anyone heard of them? They look good on paper and are a similar price as Eminence. Check these out:-
  7. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I believe that they are also marketed as X-Tealth. Supposedly reasonable copies of some well-respected designs. Martin Sound carries them.
  8. Check out both Madison Speakers and Peerless. I have built custom bass cabs for myself with 10s from both companies and everywhere I play with them I get positive reviews. So much of the sound depends also on properly designed enclosures so make sure the Theil - Small parameters for the drivers you pick are appropriate for the cab if you already have a cab to use or use one of the shareware programs to design a box for you. Good luck!
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    WOW!!!! Now we're cookin..... That Parts Xpress website is brilliant!!!!! Wish we had a store like that here in OZ. Thanks to all who have resopnded so far..... I'm feeling much better about this project now.

I've got a shareware program to help design the cab, and I'm prepared to build another one from scratch - it's easy once you know how.
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'm really enjoying my Eminence 400w Kappa equipped 1-12 cab. Eminence comes in many flavors.

Put a great driver in a so-so cab and prepare to be underwhelmed

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Hey, wasent their a guy putting real subs in his cabs? like, jbl and stuff. sounds like a good idea to me.