Something Different From Pete Hanewinckel

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boogiebass, Dec 10, 2004.

1. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Since I've been devoting a large percentage of my playing time to Double Bass these days, I have been using a 4 for a lot of my electric work as well. I'm also doing a lot of gigs with a blues/rock trio in Orange County called The Funky Blue Monkeys where a vintage Fender is just the ticket. Unfortunately, my vintage P basses are all pre-CBS and just getting too valuable to drag out into the drunk pits and risk theft. So...

I asked Pete to build me a super P-style bass! Some of you may recall the J-Style black bass Pete built for me earlier this year. Well, here's the P-Style sibling. Full review after I gig it this weekend and next.

Alder body, poly finish
    3-piece maple neck
    Brazillian Rosewood fingerboard
    Blue Corian nut
    Turquoise logo inlay with Wenge dust accent
    Seymour Duncan Hot P pickup
    CTS vol/tone pots

A bunch of pics:

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    The aesthetics alone scream "TENOR BASS! MAKE ME A TENOR BASS!" to me. I love it!
  3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    WOW! That bass looks incredible! Make sure to let us know how it fares for you after you get a few hours on it... BTW, is it 34" scale?
  4. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    That's a beautiful pickguard.
  5. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks! Yup, 34" scale, 20 frets, 1.75" at the nut. Pretty much right down the line on the specs of a vintage P bass. The body, of course, is more J-like. ;)
  6. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thank you. I think Pete did a great job designing the pickguard.
  7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Me too, I like the pickguard, but I dont like that big white... Actually, I don't like almost any white-bodied basses :meh: maybe that's just me
    Maybe a maple top would've looked better on it - it would be more in line with the neck and headstock.
    Or maybe I'm just too wood-oriented ;)
  8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm not a big fan of white bodies, but that's cool!
  9. chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    that is one very cool looking bass i love that blue pg it so cool. congrats on the new bass.
  10. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    That has a really hip surf-retro, almost Moserite, look to it. Very cool!
  11. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks, everyone. I like white basses, myself...and black ones...and just about everything in between! :cool:
  12. NICE Pickgaurd

I think a set of those DR Peackock Blues strings would look great on that bass ;)
  13. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Oh yeah! Don't think I haven't thought of that...but the DR Black Beauties were a little lacking for right-hand traction for me and these D'Addario Chromes really give me THE SOUND! ;)
  14. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
  15. That and your black Hanewinckel J are two of the sexiest basses that I've seen in a long time. I've downloaded a pic of the P to use as my computer's wallpaper. Its lines are a nice combination of retro and modern aesthetics.
  16. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks, Clarence! Those two basses do seem to be siblings. ;)
  17. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    nice bass... congrats and... have fun with it! :bassist:

...any time someone gets a new babe, it makes me feel like imitating and buy one for me... i just bought a wal and already feel GAS for this one. When will i settle down with buying? (got 10 now) :D :rollno: :bag:
  18. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Pretty cool! I think it has more character than the VJ, so I like it better. :)
  19. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    After much thought, I've decided to have this bass modded with a Villex P pickup and midrange pot. After I get it installed and gigged (>1/15), I'll post impressions.

While I like the Duncan Hot P, it's almost too much of a good thing down low, especially with the clarity this instrument offers. I'm also considering moving away from the flats, too.
  20. Villex system installed yet? Just curious...