Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Something different.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassRocker8713, Aug 28, 2005.

1. BassRocker8713

BassRocker8713

Jul 15, 2003
    Ok, so I'm in the market for another bass. I own a Rickenbacker 4001 and a Fender MIM Pbass that I've modded and I'd like to have one more bass, just for some more versatility and variety. I'm not really into basses without pickguards (unless they're WELL out of my pricerange), so I'd like to stick to basses with PG's. I've already owned an Fender American Jazz, but that just wasn't my cup o' tea. There aren't really any styles of pickups that I don't like, so that doesn't really matter too much, although I'd like to avoid another single "P" pickup configuration. My pricerange is about $700, although I'd like to keep it under $600. So what are some different kinds of basses that I should look at? I don't care if they're new or used, as long as they're within my budget...what I really want is a bass that isn't one of the "standards"; i.e. Pbass, Jbass, Ric...those kinds of basses. Any suggestions would be appreciated, and post pics too!

Thanks in advance.
    Corey

Edit:
    I like 4 strings....call me traditional :rolleyes:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Take a look at the Ibanez SRX 700. This is a cheap bass that has been getting raves from people who play them. I've heard players as different as Mike D'antonio of Killswitch Engine playing metal and Carol Kaye playing old school jazz on them, and they sound great. I played one at Sam Ash once and thought it was a lot better than the price tag would make you think, which I think was $629.

Of course I'd recommend Fenders over everything, but for some strange reason you don't seem to like them.

3. BassRocker8713

BassRocker8713

Jul 15, 2003
    Actually, I really like Fenders...in fact, I play my Mexican P more than my Ric, I just want something different. As for Jazz basses...I've played some that I like, like the Aerodyne w/ the pickguard (that was sweet!) and the Geddy Lee...but as a rule, I don't like them very much.

Oh, and I'll check out that Ib'.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Oh, my mistake. Well if you already have one Fender, you only need 2 or 3 more ;)

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Semi-hollow, with two high output single coils that deliver awesome, hard hitting tone. Great playability, in your price range, and definitely something different. Mine's gold, but the black looks sweet too.

http://dipintoguitars.com/basses_belvedere-std.html

6. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I suppose it is a "standard", but how about a MM Stingray? Well within your budget secondhand on Ebay. Or you could go for a brand new SUB if you like the unusual finishes.

7. BassRocker8713

BassRocker8713

Jul 15, 2003
    I'd love to get a Stingray, but they never seem to be in my pricerange on ebay. If you see one that is, let me know (especially if it's a BIN that's under $700).

8. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    If y'all want something that don't look like a standard check out a BC Rich. Most are reasonably priced and have great tone and playability no matter what kind of music you play.

9. BassRocker8713

BassRocker8713

Jul 15, 2003
    Eh, I've played BC Riches before, I didn't mind their tone, but I just don't dig the way they look.