1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Something for my jazz...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fenderbassabuse, Apr 12, 2004.

1. I would like to have a growlier bridge pickup and a softer neck pickup for my jazz bass. It is a fender MIM bass. Could that be a problem?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I do believe it will work by having a hotter pickup in the bridge and a not-so-hot one in the neck. However, I think that will cause the natural hum cancelling feature to not work very well because they will be wound at different restistances. But if you're going to be soloing them I don't think it'll make a huge difference.

3. Rock&Roll

Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    Maybe try just recessing the neck pickup into the body a little more with the screws. Or raise the bridge pickup some more.

Generally, I've found the factory fender pickups to be more dead and less defined than some others. I ended up getting the fender custom shop reissue jazz pickups. Major improvment. You might also look at duncan antiquities or lindy frailins.

4. I'm thinking some duncan hot stacks and/or dimarzio ultra jazz. Any experiance?

5. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    I am very impressed by nordstrand pick ups possibilitys.
    I really can do anything with my jazzbass.Growly sound of course!