Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Something for my jazz...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fenderbassabuse, Apr 12, 2004.

1. I would like to have a growlier bridge pickup and a softer neck pickup for my jazz bass. It is a fender MIM bass. Could that be a problem?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I do believe it will work by having a hotter pickup in the bridge and a not-so-hot one in the neck. However, I think that will cause the natural hum cancelling feature to not work very well because they will be wound at different restistances. But if you're going to be soloing them I don't think it'll make a huge difference.

3. Rock&Roll

Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    Maybe try just recessing the neck pickup into the body a little more with the screws. Or raise the bridge pickup some more.

Generally, I've found the factory fender pickups to be more dead and less defined than some others. I ended up getting the fender custom shop reissue jazz pickups. Major improvment. You might also look at duncan antiquities or lindy frailins.

4. I'm thinking some duncan hot stacks and/or dimarzio ultra jazz. Any experiance?

5. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    I am very impressed by nordstrand pick ups possibilitys.
    I really can do anything with my jazzbass.Growly sound of course!