Something for the SX folks around here...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hambone, Mar 15, 2005.

1. ...and something you don't get to see too often.

Here's a shot of the inside of an SX P neck. I got a wild hair in the shop and split off the fretboard of one of my necks and this is what I discovered. It should come as a comfort to SX owners and those thinking about owning one. The general construction isn't special in any way, in fact the routing is pretty rough. But the trussrod is certainly a step up from the simplest version that could have been used and IS used on a lot of much more expensive basses. This rod is actually 2 rods - a round 3/16" steel main tension rod with a threaded end. Attached to this is a 1/8" x 9/32" rectangular. This is welded to one end of the round rod and to a sliding sleeve under the adjustment nut. When the nut is tightened, it pushes against the sleeve to bend the flat bar effectively bowing the entire assembly. This counteracts the stirng tension. IMO this is a little better system because it doesn't have to crush the wood lengthwise to do it's work. It also has a bit more mass and that helps with keeping dead spots down.

So, if Kurt had anything to do with it, he should get some kudo's for not going the cheapest way and still putting out the best value.

2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Thats good news. Just drove by Rondo today on the way to Guitar Center... :)
  3. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    All I have to say is werd...
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That's very cool. Makes me want to buy one even more.
  5. pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    I miss my BG80... Excellent bass for the $$$
  6. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    So, how you gonna get the fingerboard back on?
  7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

Laquer to seal it back on... like they all do.
  8. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    What I was referring to is the stress it puts on the fret slots. How did you remove the fretboard, Ham?
  9. How does that compare to the MIM fender truss rod system?
  10. Man strength and awkwardness :bassist:

The whole thing began with an idea to change the fretboard. I didn't need to keep the old one and I was too impatient to see the guts to do anything reasonable like steam the thing off. I used a heat gun on high and a sharpened spatula knife. Leverage was the key as the fretboard was pretty thick and hide glue lets go at 240º so it took it's time getting warm enough to split. It curled like an elf's slippers. The edge is perfect though and it's got a great gluing surface. It's ready for anything I want to throw up on there.

BTW, the skunk stripe is ENTIRELY cosmetic! In fact, it doesn't even make an appearance in the bottom of the trussrod channel anywhere along it's length. One could think of that as an expensive needless feature if it isn't needed to install the TR. It sure looks good though.