1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Something funky is going on (not in a good way)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassfacekevin, Nov 15, 2006.

  1. Ok, here it is folks. I've been trying to get in better shape, and so my girlfriend and I have begun running together, and she has been telling me that when she runs, after a little bit of time, her vision starts to get "weird." Basically, she gets what sounds to me like tunnel vision. Everything gets fuzzy around the peripheral vision and it stays like that some time after she finished running.

    Also, I've noticed that sometimes her heartbeat is slightly arrhythmic. This is unrelated to the running, but I have a feeling that the two are connected in some way. Her heart seems to skip half a beat, then it kinda lurches, and then continues on as normal. Usually, when it happens (when I notice it anyway) is when we're just laying around watching a movie or something rather couch potato-ish.

    Basically, is this something to worry about? I've told her that she should go to a doctor, but she claims that it's been happening for some time, and that she's not worried about it. Am I right? I feel like a mother hen.

  2. Akami

    Akami Four on the floor Supporting Member

    Mar 6, 2005
    I'd say get that girl to see a doctor as soon as possible.

    If there's nothing to be concerned about then you'll rest easier, but it doesn't sound good to me either.
  3. bigfatbass

    bigfatbass Inactive

    Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    +1, doctor.

    An EEG is not an expensive test theses days, even if insurance is an issue.
  4. AuG


    May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Sounds sort of like what Ivar had...your girlfriend needs to see a doctor TODAY. There could be a serious problem.

    +1,000,000 to the EEG.
  5. DigMe


    Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

  6. Geoff St. Germaine

    Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

    I don't think that talkbass is an appropriate forum for seeking medical advice, especially when dealing with such abnormal symptoms. Anyway, like the others have said: get her to see a Doctor.
  7. She's not worried? If she doesn't know EXACTLY what it is, doctor asap...

    If needed: hand+kinetic energy+her legs+upwards force+door opening+moving hands above head and throwing them forward quickly towards open car door. Gogogo ^^

    Good luck... :/
  8. tr68gt

    tr68gt Acme Corporation Beta Tester

    Aug 2, 2006
    Naples, Florida
    Yup, get her to the doctor, just to check it out. The vision thing could be a side effect of what they call a "runners high", as I have had that too. But I'd have her heart checked out anyway. Is there any history in her family of heart conditions? If so, be sure the doctor knows about this.
  9. txbasschik


    Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Get that young lady to a doctor, even if you have to drag her there. You'd never forgive yourself if something happened to her. So get her to the doc!!!

    Do her parents know this is going on? Perhaps you could enlists their help in getting her to get medical attention.

  10. Get to a doctors, could be a heart murmor, but they usually arent that dangerous a thing.

    She may also just have low bloody pressure, i suffer from similar effects (bar the off beat heart rythmn), whenever i excert myself or even sometimes when i stand up (being 6ft4 with low blood pressure is asking for trouble)
  11. +100000 Talkbass OT seems to be full of health and fitness advice and medical diagnosis from people who are, in essence, bass players.

    You should always consult a qualified practitioner when seeking medical and physical health advice.
  12. ^^ true true, though with so many people, it's usually a decent chance that someone has been though/knows someone who has been though something similar. However, I digress, I will be talking to the woman shortly about seeking medical attention.

  13. SuperDuck


    Sep 26, 2000
    Good luck, I hope it turns out well. :) This situation definitely needs medical attention.
  14. MJ5150

    MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Get an EKG for the heart while you're at the doctor.

    People always use the "it's been happening for a long time, it doesn't really bother me" excuse when they don't have the time or interest in seeing a doctor. Well, someday it will bother them, even to death.

    Good for you sir to be concerned so much about your girls health.

  15. Vince S.

    Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

    Jan 24, 2003
    Like everybody has said, get her to the doctor's.

    I don't have the vision thing, but I would get the skipped beats sensation from time to time, a lot more when I was exerting myself than at rest. I never thought much of it. However, when I went for my yearly physical over the summer the doctor heard a murmur and sent me to the cardiologist for an EKG and echocardiogram. The tests shows that I have mitral valve regurgitation, where the mitral valve doesn't close properly and some blood backwashes into the left atrium. I'm not saying that's what she has, but it's best to get it checked out and get answers.
  16. Munjibunga

    Munjibunga Retired Member

    May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I vote doctor. Soon.
  17. Neb Maro

    Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

    Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Yes, get her to a doctor. Don't mess around when it comes to the heart.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.