Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

something happend

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by herrera, Aug 29, 2002.

1. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    yesterday i want to tune by bass...and the low b was out of tune when i was trying to tune it giving trun to the little machines that are used to TUNE it just click! you know

CLICK!!!!

when it was going to tune it it just ckicl and came back to the point where it where...also i notece that it only happend with the low b

can some body tell me what happend???

i buy my bass on march

it is a warwick thumb bo with the wide neck!

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    If it's in tune and it doesn't happen again, I wouldn't worry too much. My guess is the ball at the end of the string wasn't seated correctly in the tailpeice and when you tightened it, it pulled the rest of the way - clicking it into place. It could have also been the string slipping at machine head if the string wasn't wound properly. If you can't tune the B string any longer the string may have broken. My last guess is that the tuning head slipped or is stripped, but I think that would be unlikely on a Warwick.

3. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    well the thing is that tyhe string is properly installed you know!

and the ball at the end it is really ok!

what happend is the tuner

the tuner when it is going to tone it just go round (obvius) but it doestn thjen click and come back to the place that it wheere....

were i can buy online tuners for a warwick???

or soemthing already send a email to the guy who sell it to me!

4. Don't buy a new tuner yet!

You should try getting the tuner to come to tune in a different place on the gear set. Make a mark on the post and headstock to reference where it is now and take your string off. Turn the tuning key until the reference mark on the post is 180º opposite where it is now. Then restring your bass. Compare the marks and make sure that the position where the string is in tune is nearly opposite the old position. You are now using gear teeth that haven't been used under tension before and this might solve your problem

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That happened to me with my Lakland's B. I loosen, and restrung the B, and it was fine.

6. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    i did that but the problem is still on the warwick tunner

i already contact my warwick dealer and i will send a video that i will post in here so you can see the problem

7. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    this !! >( (that is my mad face)

8. OK, now I know exactly what happened cuz it's happened to me before.:rolleyes:

You broke the core of the string - that was the pop you heard and now the string is just unwinding it's own windings around your post without putting tension on the core. You'll need a new set of strings to fix the problem.

Your mpeg also showed me some other no-no's you've commited while stringing your bass. First and foremost - you should wind the string around the post from the top down. This way the windings push down on the incoming string and hold the string at the proper angle across the nut to keep it from rattling. This requires inserting the end into the center of the post, shaping it to begin the turn, and holding it in place for the first turn of the post to keep it in place. Each turn of the string around the post should be tight against and under the previous one until the post has at least 2 and preferrably 3 turns of string around it. This brings me to the second point - You've got too many turns and too much string piled up on the posts. Before starting the winding of a string, you should cut it off with just enough extra to make the 2-3 turns around the post. This will take some experimentation to gauge just how long is too long but once you've figured it out it works for all the strings pretty much the same. If you wind up the string and find that there's too much, just unwind and cut a bit off and start over. Better to have too much at the beginning than not enough. Remember to take into account the amount needed to poke down the center of the post - this step is needed to make a tight winding.

Good Luck!

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i don't think so, hammy. if you notice in the little video, the post isn't turning at all. to me, that means the tuning post is free-floating, or at least not responding to the tuner key - he's turning the key, but the post isn't moving.

time for a new tuner, imo.

10. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    I'm going with JT on this one.:)

11. You might be right. Even at an enlarged window size, I can't see his hand, the tuner key or any detail on the post (like a slot). All I can see is the headstock and the windings on the top 3 posts moving around a little. If your version is clear enough to see the post slot not turn then you're right. I made my call from all of the windings being piled up around the post and from his g string post that is wound from the bottom up. It is so rare that a tuner gives out like this.

I'm not having a very good month here at all! :(

12. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Don´t be so hard on yourself ;)

Actually, I´m not surprised that the tuner gave up. The windings around the post are excessive to say the least.

13. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    problem solved....talkbass wins!

14. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    i cut a long part of the string and it staretd to turn

so what do you think?

i live it like that or i call warwick and send them the video so they can give me a new one?

because it doesnt work with a long string...

well either or not im using again the low b

the problem is that im uncomfortable playing my bass rigth now the string was shorter it only give 1 turn and a half to the tunner so i think that it would hit my eye what do you think...can it happend???

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Don't worry. 2 wraps is pretty normal, so no, you won'y have a problem. I've broken many a B and E string, and if they break, they do NOT fly around like a arrow from an archer. They just give out. There's no flying around.

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think that tuner may be on its last legs, it might work now, but its probably dying. i'd get another one

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I concur.

18. Just on what Hambone said with the amount of string to have around the post. I tend to put the string in the nut and then cut the string about two extra tuning posts from the post i wish to put the string on. Does this make sense?

If so, is that okay? I end up with about 3 or 4 turns. Seems to stay in tune remarkably well, i suppose it differs per bass.

:D:D

Me.

19. It is true, the tuner post is not turning. It sounds to me like the clicking might be the gears jumping each other, because they are worn down or in some other way defective.

I would take the bass back to the store where you bought it. Show them and I am sure they will replace the tuner.

Geoff