Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Something happened to my rig.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mobay45, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I was playing last Saturday night at a gig. Everything was going great until about halfway through the last song. All of the sudden, I started to hear something that sounds like a blown speaker and I looked at my amp and the clip light was pretty much staying on. I cut back and let the house system carry my sound for the rest of the song, but I won't get a chance to check it out until a week from this Friday as my guitar player hauled it back to our jam room. If it's a speaker, I'm sure that Jorg will take care of it. But if it's the amp, I'll have to replace it with another one. I've been looking and it looks like I can pick up a Crown 402 at a pretty decent price.

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I don't understand your question as you've answered any you asked pretty much... but if your clip light was on, most likely you murdered a speaker. Good job.

Ray

3. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    Active or passive bass? A dying battery will sound like a blown speaker. Doesn't explain the clipping, but anyting is possible with electronics.

4. Mobay45

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    SR5 - BBE BMax T - Carvin DCM1000 - Schroeder 21012.

The only thing that's killing me is that I won't get a chance to check it out until a week from this Friday.

As far as "murdering" a speaker, I think Ray is probably right. I just need to dertermine which one it was.

5. Mobay45

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    BTW - When this happened, the gain and master on the Bmax were both set on about 4 and the volume on the amp was just past the 12 o'clock position. With the amp being rated at 1000w @ 4 ohms and the cabinet rated at 1200w @ 4 ohms, I don't think that should have been enough to fry a speaker. Do you?

6. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    It shouldnt....but who knows

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

If you were clipping the 1000 watt amp (you said you were, right?), that'd put you right in the danger zone; you could easily be putting more than 1200 watts into the cab under those conditions, and you were doing it continuously, from what you said. Does the amp have a limiter, and was it engaged?

Bummer, in any case. :meh:

8. Mobay45

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    The clip light didn't come on until after everything started sounding like crap. Anyway, this is all conjecture until I get a chance to hook it back up and check it out.

9. PM sent