something i have been wondering about...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalman0110, Jan 3, 2006.

1. um can u play a bass on a guitar amp? (i have a fender frontman 15w)

and also, how much power does an amp have to have to be able to play the lower notes on the B string of a 5 string bass well?
  2. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    You can do it but that little amp won't give you any real volume. if you push it at all you risk damaging the speaker. But for quiet bedroom practicing by yourself at home you'll be okay.

I once recorded a couple singles using a cheap tube guitar amp with a 6" speaker. It had 8 watts of power. We put a microphone in front of it and baffled the amp. It sounded like a big SVT. But recording you don't need much power, despite what some guys use these days in the studio.For playing with a band at real volume levels, take a look at the yorkville sound XM200 combos. for under $500 you'll have a gig worthy rig.
  3. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I agree with 62bass.

I love the xm200, you can also add an extra speaker when necessary for more volume.
  4. of course you can play it, but it probably won't sound too great. even with the bass full on, the g and d strings may sound decent, but those low notes on the fifth string will probably sound like full on crap.
  5. The plugs fit. But there are two dangers coming from the electronics as a result of the large amount of low frequencies:
    The impedance tends to go low because of this.
    Danger for the amp if it's not protected (which is mostly the case with the cheaper and smaller ones): you can get a short circuit in the power-amp.
    But most of all: Danger for the tweeter in the cabinet: They can ware-out very fast. Which also happens when you play a lot and loud through your home-hifi equipment with a bass.
  6. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    There's no tweeter in the Frontman. It will be easy to blow the speaker though.