Something i just realised about metallica & cliff...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Nov 10, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Ok well ive just noticed something.

On every metallica album cliff played on, there was a bass solo, or a song with a bass solo.

Kill em all- Anestisthia (pulling teeth)
    Ride the lighting- Call of Ktulu
    Master of puppets- Orion

But as soon as jason came on the scene, the only song where his creative spark shone was my freind of misery...

Why did the bass solos stop when jason came on board?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Ask Lars and James, I have a hunch they know... ;)
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I heard Justice had some pretty flashy basswork on it, and that pissed them off, the new guy trying to upstage them or something, so Jasons volume went doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooown.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

It is sad they didint realize what they had and treated Jason so badly. The thing i think about is Jason sat and recorded for months on those songs day after day just to have it wasted when no one can here it.
  5. That's probably what happened. Jason can be a badass when he wants... :bassist:

Larse :)D) and James told that they had to lower the bass in the mix because it was sucking up all of the guitar's low end... :rolleyes: They ended up with an album with great songs but sounds like total crap...
  6. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    That's true, ...Justice... is my favourite album, but it sounds really bad..
  7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Justice is ruined for me. I've never liked it, probably for that reason that there is no bass on it. It sucks the energy right out of the album.
  8. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Yup, I watched a show on metallica and Lars and James admitted that they lowered the bass volume with Jason on purpose... they even admitted that they shouldnt have (not to such an extent anyways) and that they felt bad...

Same thing is happening again... Trujillo rocks, but you can barely here distinct bass.. sure it fills out the emptiness, but it isn't as loud as it should be.

It is the typical difference between a bassists bass or a guitarists bass.

Guaranteed that if Cliff were still around, the bass would be way more dominant... he was as much original Metallica as Lars or James... but now, because Metallica gets new bassists, it is like the bassist works for Metallica and doesn't really have a say (accept it/love it or leave it)..

Metallica is such a typical guitar band. I don't like them because of this. The guitarist ego shows right through their recordings IMO. I have experienced this first hand with a friend of mine. We rented some equip. and did a recording. Had everything dialed in to everyones liking. What does he do? None of us were around and he goes and turns up the volume on his track.. ever so slightly, but enough to put his sound out front. Made me mad, and he will never get to do this again... This was the only recording that we were left with.. In order to re-mix it, we need the exact same four track to re-mix the 4-track tapes with. Plain ignorance if you ask me.
  9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    That's Bob Rock on the new album, not Trujillo.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I would say Garage INC is the most noticeable bass performance then all of their records. Justice is such great metal record it is disappointing they turned Jason down.
  11. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Okay, but the DVD I watched is Trujillo, and in it he rocks.. (but you can barely hear him, with the exception of 1 or 2 songs) plus having heard him play with past bands like Suicidal Tendencies and Infectious Grooves lets us know he can do some great stuff on the bass, if you can hear him.

Regardless as to who it is playing bass, as long as they are in a band with those guitarists, they will be pretty much unheard.

It's sad really.
  12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Justice was completely ruined by idiocy. They might as well have had no bass on it at all. It's too bad, would have been a great CD. They've ALWAYS had the bass way too low though, it's one of the things I really dislike about metallica.

I am one of those guys that did not like load or reload, or the black album, for that matter. I would like the new one, better than those, but that freakin' snare hurts my head.
  13. funny how you can hear Jason loud and clear on the recorded-on-a-shoestring budget $5.98 or whatever price it was Garage days EP, before Justice was recorded.
    I like his playing on "the wait".

if Metallica released a properly mixed version of Justice I'd buy it.
    as for St.Anger, S+M, Reload, no thanks.