Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Something I Never Understood...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGod, Jul 16, 2004.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Hey, I just have a simple question about basses, and something I've never really completely understood... What is the difference between a bolt-on and neck-through bass? I've tried to get people to tell me, but to no avail. It would really help if someone could post pictures of basses with each neck configuration, so I could have a visual aid. I don't want to start a war with the bolt-on folks fighting the neck-through folks, I just wanna know the difference. And what would a Fender Precision be? Thanks guys! :)

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

2. bigyellowhead76

bigyellowhead76

Jul 14, 2004
    the bolt on neck is attatched to the body bye bolts or screw

the neck through basses are necks that go all the way through from body to head

3. Your Fender is a bolt-on. Sonically a bolt-on sounds livelier to my ears, they are said to allow more odd order harmonics to the strings.
    Neck thru's are said to enhance even order harmonics and are perceived to have a stronger fundamental.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's the back of my neck-through Yamaha TRB5-PII and the back of someone else's Lakland 55-94 bolt-on.

5. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Thanks guys, finally I understand!!! :)

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

6. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    So how do you make a neck-through bass?

7. take a 2x4 and slap a piece of plywood on each side. :D

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Well, you see how the neck goes ALL the way through the body? The parts to the left and right of the "neck block" on a neck-thru are called "wings", and are glued on.

9. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    So it's like a some what hollowd body then then they stick the neck in it and glue.
    Cool Thanks

10. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Actually, it's more like... Start out with a piece a wood for the neck that's long enough for the entire length of the body, then glue on the wings on each side.

11. Now, I don't intend to criticize certain types of basses, but I hear that one downside of getting a neck through bass, is that in general, that they don't have that sustain that a bolt-on is able to retain in their notes. i'm guessing that because a bolt-on is a seperate piece of wood, that it holds it's individual vibrations, and the body sends those vibes back and forth.

I read that BP magazine review of the bassist of AAF, someone tell me what this all means in general.

12. I've always heard the opposite.

The very general rule of thumb is:

Neck-Through: More sustain
    Bolt-On: More punch

Again, that's very general and many, many things influence that.

13. Tage

Tage

Sep 17, 2003
    So it's not so disimilar to a set-neck bass?

14. It's also a common opinion that Set-Neck offers the best of both worlds tone-wise.

A neck-through and set-neck are a little different constructioin wise. A set-neck fits the neck into a pocket where as a neck-through, the neck runs the entire length of the bass.