Something interesting about blink 182 and the basslines.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Sep 22, 2002.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Me and my freind have been doing an experiment over the last few days with blink 182 and their songs. We played all their songs, normallly, and then i played the root note of every guitar part he played.

It sounded ok, but not too crash hot playing the root of everything the guitarist played. some sounded good, some the same, some were %110 better, and some were 110% worse.

I just think its weird, how a few people (not on talkbass, freinds and other bassists) say that blink 182's basslines are too easy, but when it comes down to the crunch, there arent many other options to play.

Your thoughts? Please, dont turn this into a war :D
  2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I agree. People need to stop bashing it and realize what it really is. You do what you can to make it sound good, and Blink182 found how to make it work.

That said.. I'm just glad I could get in before the thread gets closed ;)
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Alot could be done to their songs.

I used to play them until it got boring, then I made them more interesting.

IME at least.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree.
  5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I'm sure if they wanted to, they would. let them write their music whatever the hell they want to.
  6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I only posted this in response to an earlier statement saying that not much could be done.

Im fine with them playing what they play, I just believe that they could do more if they wanted to.

Since they dont want to, then I guess its all good.

I wouldnt do it that way though.

7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've seen Mark play their lines with a pick, and it sounded like a baratone guitar. That alone lets you know that if they'd chosen, they could've them more complicated, but where's the fun in that?
  8. TOOTHY999

Sep 8, 2002
    Blink 182 like to keep the bass more of a background buzz, not a in your face solo (primus) kind of deal, then theres an in between (green day) who will give the nice buzz in the background but pull some interesting riffs out of their ass once in a while.

I was bored and I felt like saying something.:(
  9. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    To a non-musician, their songs very well may sound complicated or complex. However, if you play guitar and/or bass, you'll realize they have very simplistic parts. Some of the guitar riffs might take some practice, but the bass lines for the most part are all continuous 8th notes, and get very boring to play... if you don't mind playing the same thing all the time, then base your lines off Blink 182.
  10. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Yeah... Blink 182 lines are what I started out on, and I turned out OK!

11. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i think that mark hoppus' lines fit the music style of the band really really good.
  12. You have to keep in mind that the bassist also sings in a lot of the songs. I know when I'm trying to sing and play bass I can't do anything too complicated. He's probably just got into the habit of doing this.
  13. As much as I hate Blink with a passion, I have to agree, the basslines fit the music perfectly, there is no reason to do anything else. When a bassist is creating a bassline, he should be thinking of what will make the song sound best, not what will make him sound best.
    Its like Nirvana. People like to bash Krist Novaselics basslines as being simple, but they fit Nirvana's music perfectly, nothing else would sound as good.
  14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I grew off of Krist's playing, but you have to remember that he didnt just play root notes all the time.

Heart Shapped Box, Lithium, Lounge Act, All Apologies, Dumb, About a Girl, Sliver, etc....

Those are all just names thrown out quickly off the top of my head of songs where he didnt exactly go nuts, but he kept it grooving and interesting.

15. alot is not the correct word, i cant get the word off my tongue, oh yeah, a massive contruction project like keeping it might take a 4 or 5 years to get this project of making them better done.
  16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Someday, before he reaches his 50th birthday, Hoppus may actually learn how to construct a bass line instead of pounding root notes and being more concerned about looking like he's going skateboarding with his cell phone.

The upside is that he gives hope to any 14-year old who is just starting out.

The downside is he is embarassing to the bass world. Simplicity can be beautiful or it can be moronic. He is the latter, IMO.

If I had a kid, (heaven forbid!), I'd steer him towards someone like Dirnt and give the kid a little bit of a challenge.

If I wasn't playing far better than Hoppus is at age 30, (his age), with his fruit bass, I know I would have quit playing bass and I'd just fry chicken for Col. Sanders.
  17. hoppus definately isnt very good, but he still seems to slightly know how to play. i hate there music, and to prove to a girl i know(who idolizes hoppus) i learned how to play carousel, which has his mind blowing(ha!) bass solo in it. amazingly, to my surprise, i found his pathetic solo was IN KEY with the song. it surprised me. and its not to hard to play good bass lines and sing(look at claypool)

and to add to nicks list of nirvana songs with good bass lines:
    Love Buzz, Hairspray Queen, Verse Chorus Verse, and many more that i cant think of.
  18. Fruit bass? Ever played one? I don't give a rat's ass what color it is, that is one of the best playing, great sounding basses I've ever experienced. If I had the disposable income, I'd buy one in a second.
    And trust me, if you were Hoppus right now, the only reason you would have quit playing at this point is because you were tired of counting your money. I'm not saying it's right or proper that he's made a ton of cash while far "better" players toil in obscurity.. that's just the way it is. I'm sure if he wanted to woodshed and develop "super-chops", he could -- in fact, for all we know he has -- but why bother? It's not what his job requires. If you were an attorney, would you learn how to operate a jackhammer?
    I agree with you that Mike Dirnt's lines are more interesting, but I say, live and let live.
  19. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I don't see any need to play one, Dave. There's nothing special about it The guy is a "bass numbskull." With all the the resources "Binky", Hoppus, has at his disposal, the best he could come up with as his "concept" for the bass was -

"I started thinking it would be rad if we could join the two together. So I took a Jazz Bass body because I thought it looked really cool and gives a good tone... Boy, there's a knowledgable perspective :rolleyes:
    ...and then I put a P-Bass neck on it because it’s a wider neck and it’s easier to play--especially for my style, which isn’t so much finger work. It has a little wider neck on it so it’s a lot easier to play." (Translation: "Because I'm so inept.")
    Plus, the only control it has is a volume knob. Yeah, those tone controls are just too confusing, aren't they?
    I think he probably put more thought into his cell phone cover.

If the guy was in his teens or early 20's, I would totally cut him slack because he would have many years of development ahead of him. We have much better, much younger bass players here on TB. Ever heard XavierG's son??? That guy is light years ahead of Hoppus and much younger.

At the risk of sounding like a jerk, trust me about "toiling in obscurity" - by the time was 30, I'd had my day in the sun. I was taking breaks from touring by going to the Mexican Carribean and Central America when Cancun was spelled "Kankun." I'm still living off the money I made from those days. But, I never gave up playing bass because of financial success.

The attorney/jackhammer analogy doesn't seem germane to the conversation at all. I think an analogy of being an ambulance chaser or a respected attorney is where I'm headed.

I agree with you - live and let live. But I hope young bass players find much better bassists as models for their aspirations - not just what the media machine is trying to shove down their throats. Hell, I dug Dee Dee Ramone and played on a bill with the Ramones but I knew Entwistle was the bassist who inspired me.

There are a lot of young players here on TB who promise to keep the art vital. I think those who aspire only as high as the Hoppus level will be selling all their gear in due time.
  20. So, just because his signature bass is relatively straighforward, he's a "bass numbskull"? You play a P-bass yourself, don't you? So, you have a tone knob and he doesn't. OK, man, we'll just agree to disagree. I don't see how you can possibly comment on the qualities of a bass you've never played or heard. And I fail to see how playing what's proper for the band you're in isn't "keeping the art vital."