Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Something is wrong with me, I think I want a Fender!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vegaas, May 27, 2004.

1. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Hey guys,
    Well, to go along with my new Eden head and cab, I want to add a new bass. I currently have a Warwick Thumb Bolt-On, and an Ibanez EDC. I love both of them. I have always been kind of a non-traditional guy. I have never owned a Fender. I thought for sure my next bass would be Spector Re-bob, or maybe even a Peavy Cirrus. But, for some reason I am starting to crave a Fender J bass! I dont know what it is, but the thought of the J sound through my new rig really has me intrigued.
    Am I nuts? What the hell! I dont get it, why all of a sudden the lust for Fender?
    I am hoping you guys can either:
    A) Tell me the virtues of Fender and why I should have one,
    or
    B) Tell me why this would be a mistake and I would be kicking myself for not getting the Spector or Cirrus.
    Thanks guys,
    Vegaas

2. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I would opt for the Cirrus...

But I have hear LOTS of VERY good things about a "Hot Rodded" Fender MIA, MIJ, or MIM... I myself am not quiet at all about my dislike for Fender, Not really for the sound, but for other Various reasons..

Anywho, If you want a Fender, I would get a GOOD MIM (Fenders quality control demands you to play MANY to find the right one) and Get a Badass Bridge, and Nordstrand Jazz Coils, or Perhaps, Bart pup's. Get some good strings and you're good to go!

And for that great "Mix" sound, pick up a Sadowsky Outboard Pre-amp. Great little devise.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Basically heres my experience with Fender:
    -Owned MIM jazz bass
    -Have played basicaly everything under the sun by them.
    Basically heres my viewpoint on them now:
    -I would buy a Japanese one without playing it first because i have the most faith in their quality control.
    -I wouldnt buy a MIM again unless it was used and i got to play it first. $400 for a new jazz bass doesnt seem like a good deal to me.
    - I wouldnt buy an American one unles i played it first, but if i did, i would pay full price, if it was at least on a slight price reduction.

I havent lost faith in Fender but i have played some crappy ones so i wouldnt put blind faith into them anymore.

4. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    You know, you can buy a used J on ebay now and sell it at the end of summer for the same you paid for it.

Tim99.

5. AA63

AA63

Dec 2, 2003
    Montreal, Canada
    Why should you have a Fender... that's an easy one.

I would venture to say that at least 85% of all recorded music that you are listening to or have ever listened to was recorded on a Fender (or Fender styled) bass. It is distinctive, simple, versatile and effective.

Why you shoulden't... the only reason I can think of is that it sometimes takes a little time or a lot of money (in the case of the boutique Sadowsky, Lull's etc..) to find a nice one that feels like "you."

AA

6. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.

That isnt part of the plus right? Just because everyone else does, dosent mean that its the best reason, to/for/that etc...

7. I would stay away from the MIMs if you're serious about tone. I've owned one and the pickups were lamo. They're made from basswood (not a great tone wood), they also have (or did have) extra wood removed in a route that connects the control cavity towards the neck pickup (covered by the pickguard)where the pickup wiring goes. Cheapo, stay away. :D

I submit that there is no tone like that of a good jazz bass with EMG's :smug:

Humbly submitted,

um... yeah

8. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    I find that my next bass is always the one I think I would never, ever buy. My Fender Am. Deluxe Jazz (in a custom color :hyper: ) was one of them. Personally, I like it a lot. I'm thinking about changing the electronics but I'm unsure as I really do like the sound that I'm getting now. Maybe I'll just have to get another one.... ;)

9. I felt that way about EMG's for a while. I've always been a vintage tone type guy and thought I'd never like them. After I did finally try them, they were at the local guitar store, nestled cozily inside a '76 Jazz bass. Played it, bought it, and never looked back. Totally sold on EMG's.

10. geeyza

geeyza

Apr 6, 2004
    boozer
    hi,try Fender MM4 if you can,great bass and not so expensive either.you can get one from ebay,say around 450-500 bucks.I fink new ones go for 750.
    but it is best to try it first,see if you like it at all.
    good luck

11. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    I am a Fender f**king nut. I would NEVER buy one made anywhere, without trying it first. NEVER! That said, yeah, there is something about the feel and tone of Jazzes. The resale value point Tim99 brought up is valid. If you don't like it sell it. Buy the Lakland Joe Osborne. I have a feeling, a guy with your mind, would love it. All the good qualities of the Fender( feel, tone) none of the problems (questionable quality control)

12. overamplified

overamplified Banned

May 26, 2004
    Maryland
    There is something wrong with you wanting a J.

You really want a P.

Trust me. :)

13. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    +1

P's are the way to go.

14. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    dunno... i got three fenders; one 51reissue Japanese (not bad), a '78 MIA p-bass (great) and a 2000 MIA J-bass. The J-bass is sunburst with maple fretboard and is probablly the favourite of my nine basses. I haven't changed a screw on it and is perfect as it is. I would suggest try a few and get the one you feel is good for you (that's fenders for me).
    ps. my other basses are:
    gibson thunderbird (03)
    rickenbacker 4001 (83)
    ibanez ATK 305 (97?)
    Hohner B.Bass 4 strings (94)
    Epiphone el capitan (?)
    my first bass
    all through a marshall dbs 7400 with a 4x10 800w marshall cab

15. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    ps. i lied
    i changed the black pickguard to a turtleshell one
    pps i played a few mexicans and i wasn't impressed at all

16. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    But were the Mexicans impressed? :D

17. If you get the "j" you will eventually want a "p".

If you get the "p" you will eventually want a "j".

It's inevitable. Get both now and save yourself some time and trouble.

18. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    LOL! :p

19. etherbass

etherbass

May 24, 2004
    i currently play an american 75 re issue jazz bass with a maple fingerboard... i always get compliments on the tone and attack i get from it. if your into the jazz bass tone and style you CANT go wrong with it. just fork out the extra cash to get an american one. or maybe even the re issue or geddy lee jazz bass. i find the new american jazz basses to have fatter necks.. but maybe your into that... good luck

20. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    As posted here, i recently picked up a 57 Reissue P on ebay. Tonight was my first band practice with it and it was just "wow" the whole time. This thing looks (like a maroonish red with a iodinized pickguard), plays and sounds fanatastic. We were fooling around with Rock N Roll Queen by mott the Hoople (off the awesome first album, their only album as far as im concerned although Brain Capers has its moments). I was Overend Watts! Carried away!
    It's pretty funny becuase we mostly play Byrdsy country rock but we were having fun tonight.
    :hyper:

PS: That Mexican line is very funny.