Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Something is wrong with my fender jazz!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by liran, Mar 26, 2002.

1. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I was just playing my fender jazz earlier, and then all of a sudden it just started shorting out, and then i'd slap it really hard and it started working again. but then it kept shorting out, and now it completely won't work at all. what's wrong?

2. Is it an MIM Jazz bass?

What happens (if anything) if you sound a note and manipulate the volume pots?

I had the bridge pickup on mine die shortly after I got the bass. I've heard a couple of other stories about the pickups and/or volume pots dying.

They are still fine basses however.

3. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    No it is an American 75 reissue jazz bass. I toggle all of the pots and nothing, like one of the wires wasn't correctly soddered or something.

4. take it to your tech tomorrow my good fellow...

5. It could also be a bad cable. Try another bass with the cable, and if you have the same problem, it's not the bass.

It might be a bad pot. I had one go bad, and it would play fine for a while, then crackle and pop really bad, then go dead.

6. It may be that the cable is making the 1/4 inch jack spin which will break the wires off inside the control plate, hence the shorting out problem and then nothing at all.

7. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Problem fixed!
    I took it into our favorite bass and guitar tech and got it fixed on the spot for 10 bucks. It's good having a great guitar tech around. Turns out that one of the wires wasnt come off and had to be soddered back together.

Thanks for the help

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    HMMMMM. Very interesting. I was playing one @ a Sam Ash I used to work @ & BAM!!!!!!! The neck pickup stopped working. We opened the contol panel & it was a bad soilder connection. For a $1300 bass, you'd think they'd put alittle more attention to detail.

P.S. Other than that, it was a SWEET bass. :)