Something I've always wondered...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Indi86, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Why isn't there international standardization in electrical sockets/ voltages? Are there serious pro's and cons to each of the plethora of different adaptors? Please enlighten me, as I really don't have a firm grasp of this issue and want to learn. Thanks, TB!

2. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    America had to be different and go 110V. That's so uncool USA, so uncool.
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    douglas adams once made the point that the cigarette lighter port in cars is pretty much the only truly universal international power outlet we have.

I don't know exactly how true that is, but I'd like to think it is.
  4. The conflict between Tesla and Edison on this subject is practically legendary.

Tesla was right though and Edison was too stubborn to ever admit it publicly.
  5. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    one thing that sucks with usa is the 110v, cant buy cheap amps and stuff then :( :D
  6. Just to avoid people to buy international and pay less....
  7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Its an interesting read to see how this happened...and Hambone is basically right. Also, the European electric delivery infrastructure is newer than the American one...which was really never truely upgraded from the 'original' edison power plant. There's also an issue where original European power lines tended to run longer distances than ones in the US, so the voltage differences are a more effective use of the grid.
  8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Actually, Brazil has 110 voltage too. The weirdest thing is that some states had 220 instead.

Still, that's an easy thing to fix. The worst part is all the weird sockets you see when you go to other countries. Those should be universal, IMO.