1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Something I've noticed about guitar players

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fr0me0, May 5, 2006.

1. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    not all guitar players but most. Ask them what they think about Malmsteen, or jason becker, or angelo, and they say "he's too technical, theres no emotion its just a bunch of note."

then you ask what they think of people who imo play with some emotion such as slash or paige or hendrix or clapton etc. "he's too sloppy, his technique isn't very good etc etc"

like where's the happy medium between the two? Does technique really matter if they sound great? I have a feeling its just people likeing to cut other people down but its pretty rediculous. I've run into this a ton of times especially on the net.

2. That's pretty much it. People just have to realize there are all different kinds of players. There are the guys who play a million notes a seconds, the ones who make every note count, some who do both (Satch) and everything inbetween. It's kind of annoying how so many guitarists (and bassists) start doing just cause it's "cool" and never really take the time to really get good on the instrument. I mean I STARTED playing guitar cause I thought it was cool... but now it's much more than that.

My goal as a guitarist is to be able to play all styles... jazz, rock, funk, classical, everything. And then I've got my 'own' style as well. :)

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    How do you piss off a guitar player?
    By being another guitar player.

4. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    man that actually made me "lol"

5. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Well, as a guitar player who thinks Malmsteen is a wanker, I'll comment.

My main problem with shredders in general is that most of their music is simply a platform to show off their awesome technique. After about 5-minutes of jaw-dropping riffage, it gets boring. For example, I saw a Malmsteen concert vid a little while ago. At one point he picks up a classical guitar. I'm thinking, "this should be interesting." Nope! He just does more shredding on it. How about some variety and a little attention to songwriting? I feel the same way about Buckethead and (to a lesser extent) Vai and Satriani. I like Petrucci, though. Sure he shreds a lot, but he also plays songs.

By the way, I love Hendrix... one if the best guitarists and songwriters ever, IMO. The "sloppiness" is part of his style, and most experienced guitar players will tell you that it's very hard to duplicate.

Anyway, just my $.02

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    IMO one is either more technical, or more emotional. Emotion is sloppy sometimes, but it's more fluid, at least to me.

I'll take emotional and sloppy over technical and sterile anyday.

7. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    They're not mutually exclusive. I'll take emotional and clean, second to that I'll take emotional sloppy.

8. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Hmm. I know guitarists who'll say Malmsteem and Angelo are crazy technique wise but have no emotions. And I'll agree.
    I've NEVER once heard a guitarist call hendrix sloppy though. Page yes, on some things hes played, but they still all admitted they couldnt play anything he plays cleaner or as good.

9. from my experiences, younger guitar players appear threatened by guitar players who are better than them, so they will take potshots whenever they can...personally i would rather listen to clapton than malmsteen, i do prefer feeling more than hearing some guitar player see how many arpeggios he can fit into three measures...to me its the same as a comparison between a singer screaming at the top of his lungs to show off his vocal range as compared to the singer that tells a story. what would rather hear?

10. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    Jeff Beck 'nuff said!

11. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I've heard it alot from metal guitarists, seem to say he doens't deserve half the credit he gets

12. bassjamn

bassjamn Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    This is why i like Steve morse, Lots of shred and great melodic ideas. Plus his killer band(s) w/Dave Larue!