1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Something like a Line 6 DL4?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ryan morris, Aug 19, 2007.

1. ryan morris

ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    So, I'm looking for a fairly dedicated phrase sampler that is like the Line 6 DL4.. only better reliability.

The only other looping pedal that I've compared it to is the Boss DD20 that I currently have..

The things that I liked the most about the Line 6:

*You can turn your phrase off and back on
    *You can play with your phrases a lot.. reverse, double-time or half-time it
    *If you keep turning tweek, tweez, delay time, and repeat while going back and forth with double time/half-time and reverse on a loop you get CRAZY electronic sounds that were EXTREMELY fun
    *If you keep recording for LONG periods of time over the top of the same loop the first things you recorded get more quiet

So, what pedal can do those four things relatively well while still being a great pedal with true bypass and great reliability?

2. tumpinjahosafat

tumpinjahosafat Guest

Nov 11, 2006
    i dont see why people question the reliability to the pedal. Its never given me any problems at all. And dude, the DL-4 does so much more than youve outlined as your criteria for a pedal. It just has the loop feature as an added benifit, albiet a great one but get something that specializes in it, Like the Boomerang. Now i havnt played that but from the demos ive seen its well worth it if your into that kinda thing

3. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Check out: Digitech Jamman, Boss RC-50, RC-20, RC-2, Boomerang, Akai Headrush

4. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    I've seen one of the switches fly off live.

5. ryan morris

ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I question the reliability of them because I've had two. One of which was not in great shape after a few months of VERY light use (although I have no idea of how the previous owner treated it)..

At any rate, I may end up just buying another DL-4, but I am wondering what my other options may be.

I think that the RC-2 and RC-20 may not be everything that I want.. Because I do like more buttons.. (which may limit it to the 'Rang and RC-50) But I don't know that any of these pedals offer the weird ambient/electronic noises that the DL-4 could pull off.

Anyone got other opinions?

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    The new EHX Stereo Memory Man when released will be all the best features of the DL4 without being a DL4 ;)

7. ryan morris

ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I was looking at the Electro Harmonix 2880 Multitrack Looper with the extra pedal.. That thing looks pretty amazing. I little pricey at over $500 though. Ha.

Are you refering to the Electro Harmonix Stereo Memory Man With Hazarai? That thing does look cool! When does it come out.. and how much is it supposed to run?

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Yes I am

September

$208 or something close to that.

9. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    Yeah, the new memory man is somthing i might have to dig through the sofa for. I watched the crap gearwire video and could almost hear how awsome it could be.

10. ryan morris

ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    So, I made it through the gearwire video and it does look promising.. but I question whether it allows you to pause your sampled phrase and restart it later.. What do you think?

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Yeah you can.

I don't think you can save them but I presume from what I've seen it works in a similar way to the DL-4.

Like I said from the features and stuff it looks to be a DL-4 without being a DL-4 :p

12. ryan morris

ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, it looks like I'll be holding out to purchase that sweet pedal. It really does look good too. I can't wait!

13. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I think I saw the release date as the 10th of September or something.