1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Something like the EBS Octabass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kugelspot, Apr 18, 2010.

1. kugelspot

kugelspot

Jun 8, 2009
    So it says on the EBS website that the Octabass recognises 2 and 3 note chords and doubles the lowest note of the chord an octave down. Do any other octavers do this?

Also, how well does that feature actually work?

2. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Considering that nobody ever posts threads disappointed about an awesome feature being a load of crap it's probably perfect.

Every time I see one on a pedalboard or on the floor it sounds great. Awesome tool.

3. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I'm totally interested to know how well it does this as well. To my knowledge the Octabass didn't do this. However, I am basing this off of the fact that I once owned an older gray model that has since gone through at least three revisions since.

4. kugelspot

kugelspot

Jun 8, 2009
    I've looked over the EBS website before, and I don't remember ever seeing that feature either (in fact, I no it wasn't the last time I checked, because if it was, I'd already own one :D). I know they said it could track 2 and 3 note chords, but nothing about only doubling the lowest note, so I think that's only been added in the last year or 2.

Anyway, can someone answer my main question? Are there any other octavers that can track chords, and only double the lowest note?

5. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    I've read the same thing about the EBS.

6. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I've had two.

I mean technically it works, but it's not perfect (the simple chord recognition/doubling the lowest note). It's analog so it'll glitch out and warble.

It tracks alright, good enough for most I would guess. Just wasn't for me.

7. that's not a new claim of the EBS octabass. it's always been one of its selling points

used to be my favorite octaver. i now prefer the octamizer. by a wide margin.

8. Nerotic

Nerotic Guest

Sep 17, 2008
    The OctaBass tracks 2 notes acceptably, but forget about 3 note chords.
    As stated earlier by Ron Now, it's not perfect and does glitch at times, but IMO it's a lot better than many compact octavers out there.

I especially like the HI/MID/LO switch. A feature that no other octaver has.

9. kugelspot

kugelspot

Jun 8, 2009
    Hey can someone make/find me a demo of someone playing chords on the Octabass?

BTW, after watching some demos I can hear what you guys mean about the tracking. The octamizer and the M288 are quite a bit better in that regard.

10. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I could never get an OctaBass to track chords. The MXR BOD does it though.

11. kugelspot

kugelspot

Jun 8, 2009
    I'm not that interested in it tracking "real" chords, mostly just power chords. How well does it track those?