1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Something like TI Jazz Rounds but more tension?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bassman_1988, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Bassman_1988

Bassman_1988 Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Minneapolis
    Went and did it. Got the Jazz rounds on my 63 AVRI P. And... I can’t do it. I know everyone says give it a month or so. I just don’t have that time to get used to something I don’t like. And maybe I am more of a digger than I thought... So back to the drawing board. What I don’t like is the extremely low tension and I like a thicker feeling E. I absolutely love the tone of these though. Exactly what I’m going for. Is there something out there that sounds alike with a bit more tension? If they had the JR in a gauge up I’m all over it if that makes sense. Any recommendations?! Thanks friends!

2. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    GHS Balanced Nickel. The actual tension is quite a bit higher but they don't play like it. Tone (to my ears) is pretty similar although I think the Balanced tickles are a little more even across the neck.

michael_t likes this.
  3. +1 Another vote for the Balanced Nickels. :thumbsup:

Pure nickel on a round core, they're supple and comfortable for fretting but still firm enough not to go all bouncy under over-exuberant plucking fingers even with the light set, 40-101. My P bass has been happily purrr-ing for the last couple of months with them on.

DISCLAIMER: I have no personal experience with the TI Jazz Rounds, so can't make any direct comparison.

4. Bassman_1988

Sep 4, 2014
    Minneapolis
    Can you guys compare the tone to the boomers? Grew up in Detroit so always wanted to love GHS but I can’t stand the tone of the boomers and never ventured into anything else from them. And thanks for the recommendation!

5. Boomers = punchy low-mid with raw grit and grind. They can growl and bark like a German Shepherd.
    Balanced Nickels = pure nickel warmth with full-bodied yet clean and focused lows with creamy smooth mids. Mild-tempered like a Golden Retriever.

LiquidMidnight and Bassman_1988 like this.
  6. Bassman_1988

Sep 4, 2014
    Minneapolis
    I always thought boomers sounded very sterile and dry and that’s what i didn’t like about them. Thanks for the info at $20 I think I’ll just give them a shot.

7. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    If you're comfortable wrapping the E string around the post, getting the super long scale version of the Thomastiks (JR364) might be the ticket:
    Thomastik-Infeld T-I JAZZ Round Wound Bass Strings - 4 String Set
    http://www.thomastik-infeld.com/sites/default/files/catalogue/bass_guitar_2015.pdf
    ^ page 2 of pdf file. Please note that the published tensions for the SL scale set are calculated for 36" scale but if you multiply these for the ratio of scale lengths squared - in our case (34/36=0.94̅ )^2=~0.892 - you get the tension at standard long scale, which may just be the significant step up, re the long-scale set, that you were wishing for:
    G:35.98# vs. 34.61
    D:35.98# vs. 30.2
    A:36.77# vs. 29.54
    E:36.5# vs. 27.99 of the JR344 set.
    (Thanks to @ixlramp for the useful conversion trick.)

Using strings that don't taper before the post, and consequently wrap around it full-thickness, is usually not advisable, but the T-I's are the kings of lo-tension, hi-flex, so they might be fine. Of course they're not the cheapest strings to experiment on. Also, the super longs have a winding length of 39.75", so 2.75" more than the already significant (on a toploading bass) 37" of the regular longs - might make for a pretty crammed post:
    Electric Bass String Winding Lengths by Manufacturer from BassStringsOnline.com
    (The AVRI '63 has no through-body stringing option, n'est-ce pas?)
    So... yeah.

Now, if you wanted to go crazy another option would be getting the 5-string set (JR345), putting aside the G and tuning the rest up a 4th. Tension would be high but never beyond the realms of bass guitar consuetude, namely between the 54lbs of the former D tuned up to G and the 49lbs of the (B>)E.

Would they definitely break at that pitch/tension? Not at all, there are commercially available strings that are that tight and more (most 50 G and 70 D strings, and all 55 G's and 75 D's, are at/over/a lot more than 54 pounds of tension.)
    Would they definitely not break? I'm afraid I can't guarantee it. The cores might prove to be too thin to hold up a fourth higher than factory-sanctioned.

If the above is too far-fetched for your taste, and it may well be, the GHS Balanced Nickels suggested above are the first direction I too would look.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    Bassman_1988 likes this.
  8. Bassman_1988

Sep 4, 2014
    Minneapolis
    Great info! Thanks for your time! I think I may try the Balanced Nickels. I had a set of unopened 45-105 sunbeams that I threw on for now. We will see how I like them after they settle.

petrus61, bob atherton and HaphAsSard like this.
  9. Eikari

Eikari

Jun 21, 2015
    Iceland
    Infeld Superalloy.

10. bob atherton

bob atherton

Mar 8, 2005
    I'm in a similar situation to you with strings.

How are the Sunbeams working out? Thanks

Bassman_1988 likes this.
  11. Bassman_1988

Sep 4, 2014
    Minneapolis
    Sorry it’s been a while since I’ve signed in. I’ve played maybe 10 shows with them so far. Still holding up. I’m waiting for them to get real dead I think I’m going for a dead. But I really do like how they feel! Within 2 shows they settled in nicely for a new rounds sound. I’ll keep posting what I find.

bob atherton likes this.
  12. bob atherton

bob atherton

Mar 8, 2005
    I've some Sunbeams (45-105) on one of my basses and I'm liking the feel a lot, more flexible than my lo-riders.
    There are still pretty zingy but I can dial most of that out on the bass and amp.

13. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Those (Sunbeams) are really the closest thing out there to the TI’s, without the loose feeling. GHS would be the direct polar opposite of anything TI IMO, so if there wasn’t a single thing you liked about the TI’s and want something that feel and sound as far removed from that as possible, then by all all means GHS.

Bassman_1988 likes this.
  14. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    I would agree except for the Balanced Nickles from GHS. IMO a different beast.

Bassman_1988 likes this.
  15. Bassman_1988

Sep 4, 2014
    Minneapolis
    I don’t really think the Sunbeams are close at all to the TIs. 2 months later and they are finally getting rid of the zing. Maybe another month and they will sound close? Haven’t tried the GHS yet. Waiting for these DRs to be dead and then I will fully judge.

16. Bassman_1988

Sep 4, 2014
    Minneapolis
    Update, the DR finally went dead for the most part. I do like them actually. I lost a little more high end than I wanted. But maybe there was a sweet spot in that time period somewhere...

Got a set of the Light balanced Nickels
    And.... don’t care for the sound at all. GHS has always been a bad sounding string to me. Tried boomers and pressure wounds and now the balanced nickels. There is something weird about them. They sound like they are inside of a rubber yoga ball. Just weird. Hahah
    The thing is they feel absolutely amazing on my hands. Quite the bummer my ears don’t like them.

17. Sounds like it's time for YOU to get out of that rubber yoga ball you've been sitting in. ;):D

Bassman_1988 likes this.
  18. Bassman_1988

Sep 4, 2014
    Minneapolis
    Ha maybe!