Something Looks Amiss (Fender American Deluxe P Content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by selowitch, Apr 1, 2018.

1. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I'm checking out this listing on Reverb and I'm wondering:
    1. Do the highest two strings look like they are coming out of the body and onto the saddles at a unfavorable angle?
    2. Is the topmost string too close to edge of the neck?
    3. Is the neck heel possibly askew within the neck pocket?
    I'm thinking of querying the seller about this.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  2. maplenecked

maplenecked

Dec 1, 2017
    Honolulu
    It would be cool if he would be willing to move the top two strings each to the left one saddle notch (looks like that’s all there is left to move) and photograph to see if it’s just bad string spacing setup or more serious neck issues like you mentioned. I’m curious how your interactions with the seller go, good luck!

3. Philibuster

Philibuster Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2012
    The Black Hills
    1. Yes.
    2. Yes.
    3. Inconclusive.

Ironically, I was just looking at another item this seller has listed a few hours ago. Please let me know if your comms with them are productive.

selowitch likes this.
  4. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    Just the angle of the camera I suspect.
    If the person taking the photos had stood a foot or two to the right, we'd be asking the same questions about the 2 lowest strings instead.

TonyP- likes this.
  5. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    IMO the B and E strings could go one more notch on their saddles towards the bass side of the neck, but the G and D already seem centralised on their saddles.

Maybe moving the B and E AND shifting the neck in it's pocket slightly would be enough to correct this, but either way the outer strings to the edges of the fretboard look too close for someone like me.

I once sold a great MM Stingray 5 for this very same reason.

6. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    It really seems to me that the high string (i.e., the high-B or -C) is too close to the edge of the fingerboard. Hopefully the seller can show a photograph of the bass after he's made a few adjustments.
    It's possible the bass saddles are so out of alignment (and are forcing each other into awkward angles) that it's causing this apparent issue. Bass saddles should be square with the tailpiece of the bridge and usually the lowest string is furthest back toward the tailpiece and the highest furthest away from the tailpiece so I'm guess the intonation may be off but that's not a condition issue I would worry about.

7. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I got a short message from the seller saying there are no issues that he's aware of. I'm guessing he's not interested in a discussion.
    Now I gotta decide if I want to roll the dice and make an offer. I do love this particular model/color/fingerboard and I even like the case.

8. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I'm going to go with the neck isn't straight in the neck pocket. It's possible that losening the bolts and shifting the neck to the left would fix the issue. Take a look at the pic taken from top down. Personally I would pass on this one.

9. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    That G looks nearly unplayable. And I doubt you'll get the neck to move much, with the tight tolerances (meaning no 70's style neck slop) on the newer basses. And if the seller is unwilling to discuss, look at it, or try to adjust it, then you should be unwilling to buy, also... ;-)

10. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    They're is room in almost every Fender neck pocket I've ever seen.

TonyP-, Lownote38 and 4sight like this.
  11. This is my experience too. It doesn't need to move as much as you'd think to make a big difference.

Lownote38 likes this.
  12. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I sent him a second message but I think I've been spooked from bidding on this one. Too bad, I need a fiver and this model/color/fingerboard fits the bill for me.

gjohnson441496 likes this.
  13. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    This is just me, but none of those would scare me off as they're issues I could resolve myself and use as a bargaining tool to talk the seller down.
    But, as I said, that is just me. It's always easy to spend someone else's money. I'd say if it's enough to bother you, then just move along. There are too many others out there for you too settle. Sometimes patience pays off and you may end up with a cleaner example for less money.

14. "...that I'm aware of" is common weasel-speak for "...that I'm willing to take responsibility for"

15. BOOG

BOOG

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    From the pics it looks like all strings are askew toward the G string side of the neck. Maybe heel pocket but, my first thought is the bridge and through body holes were inaccurately marked/drilled at manufacturing.

Haroldo likes this.
  16. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    I thought this thread was about an ADvertisement that looked amiss.

DeliriumTremens likes this.
  17. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    If that were so I would be surprised it ever left the factory.

18. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I think the whole issue resides with the bridge saddles and a proper setup would take care of it.
    I would hate to have to fill and redrill the ferrule holes as it's a sunburst finish that would be nearly impossible to spot-repair.

19. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    I think you made the right decision.

selowitch likes this.
  20. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    That's what you'd have to do. The bridge is not in position. The bridge alignment favors the pickups not the neck.