1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

something louder and warmer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Flounder102Bass, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Flounder102Bass

Flounder102Bass

Jul 6, 2008
    im looking for a pedal that can make my Bass amp louder and warmer.so can you tell me what pedal is that

2. Dave Hall VT-1
    Tube works Blue Tube.
    Or one of the other tube over drives run clean will do exactly that.

MM

3. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I hate to say it, but you'd be wasting your money with a pedal, as whatever benefit it might provide will be limited by your amp.

If you want more volume and more warmth, you need a bigger, better amp. Also, your bass and EQ factor into how "warm" your tone is... a pedal isn't going to fix much, really.

I'm assuming you have a small bass combo? Your gear isn't listed in your profile...

It'd be nice to know what you have so we could help you more.

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    "Warmer" is easy, I can name like 300 devices that will improve warmth, but you'll have to state your budget first.

"Louder" is a joke, sorry. Get a better amp. :)

5. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Kittens - potentially both loud and warm.

6. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Carrots are louder.

:bag:

7. Purple/orange stripped paint and a blanket?

8. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    How about a purple/orange striped electric blanket? :D

...with true-bypass switching? :ninja:

9. I just had a great idea for a boutique booster pedal...

10. EduardoK

EduardoK

Jun 28, 2004
    I am curious bongo, name 6 of the best "warmers" (tight, medium and open budgets) ...
    Until now I've just used my fingers on some flats and roll off the tone knob...:D

11. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Well, that would be recommendation #1 right there. Fingers up near the neck, flats, tone dialed back a bit, mmmm... warm.

We've had threads trying to define "warmth" in the past. My definition is a hump in the low mids, combined with some soft clipping; possibly also a bit of linear distortion (i.e. not clipping, but "roughing up" the waveform).

So ingredient #1 is anything that can bump a hump in the rump... er, I mean in the low mids. Any decent EQ pedal will do.

Ingredients 2 and 3 typically come from tubes, FETs or output transformers, but of course it depends on the specific device.

The DHA VT1, CAE V-comp, OLC Flipster, Distressor, Jacques Fat Burner, Phoenix Nicerizer, and Summit TD-100 are some items I've used which fit the bill; the Fender TPB1, Alembix FX1, Kern IP777, Sansamp VT Bass, Urei LA2A, and Urei 1176 are some items which I've read will fit the bill.

On the cheap, I'd probably get a Boss or MXR EQ and a Presonus tube pre (and probably buy them used). On the cheaper I'd stick with the fingers/flats/tone knob dealio. :)

12. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Just as an advance warning: this thread has a 99% chance of ending in a blaze of utter destruction if Flounder replies. :ninja:

[mumbles something about Nostradamus and Flounder's post history...]

13. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that. :(

14. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Aw ****, y'all!

15. Double your current wattage .... double your current square inches of speaker area.. should notice a differance immediately.

16. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    EBS Valve drive will help you with your present amp, and you will keep it around for your next bigger amp too.

It gave my tone and volume a noticeable lift when I used it with a lacklustre amp

it did not add 300 watts to the sound but, it certainly sounded a lot better thicker and more present

17. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Can a pedal do that? :D

:bag:

18. LOL, and I'm still looking for a pedal with a "Talent" level. Now that is an effect worth buying. :bassist:

19. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    If we take a stab at it, and just guess that maybe you have a 100 watt combo or something thereabouts, an MXR M-80 or a SABBDI would warm up a combo nicely.

I had a brittle sounding 160 watt combo and putting my MXR M-80 in front of it made a world of difference. YMMV

HTH

btw, I swapped out my speaker for a more efficient one 101 dB v.s. original 96dB and got a noticable improvement in volume.

20. EduardoK

EduardoK

Jun 28, 2004
    Thanks bongo et all, now I'll have to go try some of those pedals... I hate you guys:D