1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Something new at Seymour Duncan

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BruceWane, Mar 12, 2008.

1. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Browsing the Seymour Duncan site the other day, I came across this.......

[​IMG]

Looks like a pretty interesting alternative for anyone looking for an EMG "40" sized pickup......

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    WOW!

I've been dieing for a good excuse to put something different in my Schecter Studio 5.

Hmmmm.... very bad time to have the money sitting around...

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    From Bassplayer magazine:

Basslines SSB-5NYC 5-string Passive Phase II NYC Soapbar pickups

Used to be that getting your hands on one of these custom Basslines pickups meant purchasing one of boutique builder Fodera’s gorgeous basses, but now Basslines is offering the SSB-5NYC 5-string pickup to anyone with $184 (or $346 for a calibrated pair). The NYC Phase II is a dual-coil J-pickup with exposed Alnico polepieces and a four-conductor cable for wiring in series, parallel, or single-coil mode. www.basslines.com

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    And more here...

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendID=74966345

New Bass pickup for 08!

SSB-5NYC - PASSIVE PHASE II NYC SOAPBAR

application
    Passive 5-string bass "soapbar" pickup with a double row of exposed Alnico pole pieces.

description
    Originally only available on FODERA basses and through the custom shop, this pickup is now a regular production model.

Same dual coil J-type pickup design found in some of the world's best basses. The four conductor cable allows a wide variety of tonal options. Wire it in parallel mode for a slightly thickened single coil sound that is hum-cancelling; wire it in series mode for high output and maximum punch and fullness, or wire it in single coil mode for a true vintage Jazz Bass® sound. The Alnico 2 rod pole pieces provide a tone that is punchy and focused with a natural and smooth upper midrange. Compared to an active soapbar, the tone is warmer and more organic.

complete setup
    Available individually or in a calibrated neck and bridge set.

basses
    This pickup is a direct retrofit replacement for the 5-string EMG® 40. The bridge pickup is designed for basses with string spacing of 74mm and the neck pickup is designed for string spacing of 70mm (measured center of low B string to center of G string).

5. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    So would the string spacing be right for a quantum 5?

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    just by eyeballing it, it kind of looks like the coils are set wider apart than on the duals in foderas. wonder if im seeing things.:confused:

7. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Ok... went to the source itself at Seymour Duncan.

Not shipping yet, shipping late april.

8. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    SD need more variety in their pickup range. Guitars have all the choice on earth, but bass players have very little. It sucks to play bass some times.

9. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    Hey, not fair! What about us 4 stringers?
    ( Oh, KARMA Now I understand....... ) :spit:

10. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    My rep at Sweetwater gave me a price for a set of around $250.

11. Bo_H

Bo_H

Jul 2, 2004
    Awesome! I'll be getting one of these for sure. I need to get rid of an EMGHz-40. This will drop right in the route.

Can't wait until they ship.

Bo

12. Those look VERY interesting! Can't wait to hear some reviews.

13. Would these fit in a Sadowsky Modern 5?

14. No, I think you are right. The pickups on the Fodera's are the more slender, longer Bartolini soapbar shape. These look more like an EMG shape/size.

15. thefunkelastic

thefunkelastic

Oct 23, 2007
    it said in bass player these were in foderas, anyone know which ones? These seem perfect for my next build...i just know I'm going to be up late nights trying to figure out how to wire these things so that I can switch them in all the different modes

16. CH Design

CH Design Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    Has anyone heard any more about these pickups?

17. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    Does anyone know if any of these new Seymour Duncans will fit in a 4 string Epiphone Thunderbird?

18. KotBasses

KotBasses Chris Harris

Dec 15, 2004
    Manager, Kot Basses
    They seem to only be offering these in 5 string. I hope they eventually release 4 and 6 string.

19. thefunkelastic

thefunkelastic

Oct 23, 2007
    any new news as to the release date of these?

20. these looks pretty similar to Nordies Dual coil, which are available in a emg40 shape