Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

something new....(pics)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bill h, Mar 6, 2006.

1. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    It will have a Birch neck and ...........I don't know. I have two sets of PU and two Pre amps. Some is still in the mail, I will post pics as I go!!!!!!

[​IMG]

Well, here is a start on the neck, if you look you can see the board was stained to start with. I ripped it down to size 1 7/8" x 3/4" by 40", by five boards. Then sent them though the jointer on two sides. Glued the up! sorry for no pics of the glueing them up, but you have to work fast as you don't want the glue to dry before you get it clamped.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

things are going forward, but slow.

Here is a pic of the top wood, black walnut that I got from my buddy, It was rough saw, took a lot of work to get it into shape to glue it up. The board came in a pice that was 4/4 with bark on both sides. To bad the lumber was not wide, I have to glue up three chunks to make it 13" wide.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a pic of the back wood, it is a cherry. That also came in 4/4 and needed lots of work.

[​IMG]

Here is the headstock wood, I have to take it down to 1/4" started out at 4/4
    I am going to make a scaf joint for the headstock with a 15 degree tilt. I hope it works, I will have to rig up some kind of clamps....

[​IMG]

Here is the back getting clamped to the front, if you look you see that I only clamped one of the boards (of three) so I could get good clamping and not have a weak joint.
    BTW I had to use three board because it was what I could get for a very good price.

[​IMG]

2. tenorbass

tenorbass

May 8, 2005
    really really nice! i dig the preamp.

3. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Ah, excess glue, gotta love it.

About your headstock pic, are you making a walnut headstock for your birch neck?

4. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Yep, the same as the body? It should be kinda fun to take it down to 3/16 and glue it to the headstock.....