1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

something of a conundrum with the pedal board

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by john turner, Apr 21, 2010.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ok, well, some of you folks might remember that last summer i built myself a nice pedal board to hold my budding collection of pedals.

well, i've just pedalled myself outta room heh. and i still have a few i'd like to get, including an expression pedal or two, so i guess i need to build another one.

having a hard time even wiring it up right now. :atoz:

pedalboard.

2. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    That setup could be bordering on the absurd...but what a great collection! Honestly, to really optimize your pedalboard I would consider one or several of these options:

1. Separating the pedals into two boards - one that goes to the input of your amp and one that would run through an effects loop.

2. Using a loop switching system instead of a patch bay. This allows you to group commonly used pedals into one or two foot switchable loops and more importantly keeps the signal chain between your bass and your amp fairly short so you're not routing signal through your entire pedal collection (unless you want to strategically place buffers in your signal chain).

3. Once you find an arrangement that works, make yourself some better cables and use couplers where possible. Your color coding is pretty, but once you hear the difference some good Mogami (or god forbid Zaolla) cable makes, you'll never go back.

4. I always try to conceal power supplies and cables under/inside the board as much as possible. Also I try and make sure power supply cables are never bundled with signal cables.

5. If you don't build/buy a loop switching system, a single bypass looper at the front of your pedalboard creates a quick way to bypass everything sending your bass signal straight to your amp. It's a great failsafe and it puts the pedalboard input and output on the same side of the board.

These are only suggestions of course and I'm sure you're having a blast with this stuff. Good luck! If you're looking for some design motivation, check out:

http://www.trailertrashpedalboards.com/
    http://pedalgear.net/page2/page2.html
    http://www.pedalboards.com/more_pedalboards.htm

3. Don't mean to hijack the thread but how do you like/use your geiger counter? Any clips of it in a band situation? Thanks. Sick board man!

4. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    Take expression style pedals off the board. Its what I do. and anything like a boss FS5, leave that off the board too. Not that you have too much of those types..but room is room.

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oh, you'll get no argument from me :D it certainly is absurd. and thanks :).

planning on doing that, i think. gonna make myself another board that will be big enough for the 3 eventides (just in case i get the pitchfactor eventually). i also would like to get the moog mp201 i think - shoulda pulled the trigger on the one sevenorchids was selling when i got the midimurf from him.

my setup is pretty odd (and if you think my board is absurd, you should see my racks lol :bag:) - i have a switchblade g/l, which is basically a 16x16 midi-controlled/automated router, so i have many loops available to use for the pedals (hence the patch bay). each eventide is on a stereo send/return, and i have 4 other mono send return loops dedicated to the pedal board. gotta figure out how to organize the loops now among the pedals. still am thinking about keeping the various dirt pedals on seperate loops so i can stack them if i want, but i may end up just getting one at a time going with a 3 or 4 loop switcher.

on the cable front, i have been curious about that, tbh, from the beginning. i'm not dissatisfied with what i'm getting sound-wise right now, but i also don't want patch cables to be the weakest linke. then again, i do use some snakes in the process (Getting the signal to the pedalboard from the switchblade) so i'm sorta stuck there.

on the power front, yeah i need to develop a better power solution - i just used whatever was on hand to wire up the board, and spent my limited resources on getting the pedals heh. i'd really like to find alternative power sources, though, so that's probably going to be the next expenditure, along with some kind of cheap expression pedal.

but yeah, thanks for the input - haven't checked out the trailertrash links before, i'll check em out.

i -just- got the geiger counter yesterday, and haven't had a chance to do much but turn it on and make noise. i know it has a bit of a learning curve on how to properly use it and all, which is awesome (i love over-complicated things heh) but i'll try to give a decent review of it when i get a clue as to how it works.

i'll probably have to do that, yeah.

i might go the JC route and just make some big flat board that can fit everything, although i don't really like how that looks.

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    -clicks link to trailertrash pedal boards

-cupid's arrow strikes

holy cow. i'm in love. :hyper: