1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Something Squishier Needed

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tplyons, Mar 25, 2006.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Picked up the Punch Factory as a recommendation and I'm saddened to say that it's just not squishy enough. Need I say, it's too transparent, and I'm looking for something more of the Marcus Miller sound.

The pedal is on the block as I search for a replacement.

Any other recommendations?

2. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Of the compressors I've tried the Emma TransMORGrifier was the most able to dial in insane squish. I believe the manual called the setting "Nuclear Blast" or something equally silly.

I've got an Analogman Bi-Comp and the Juicer side is pretty squishy, but not quite the same.

3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    +1 Analogman Juicer

4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oh, heavens - The P.F. Won't do at all for sskkkkkwischchch! I was amazed with the "is-it-even-on?"-factor, even cranked!

I use the CS-3. Hey, it's easy-enough to try out - just-about every music store has one in-stock!

Give'er a try. I love mine.

I use the tone adjustment too - to boost treble first-thing in my chain; it's a really quiet pedal, even with high-gain (and the attendant high-squish!), so it's a great place to boost treble at.

I set mine to output=11:00, Tone=3:00, Attack=1:30, Sustain=2:00 for super-squish. For medium-squish I'll run like 11:30 on the Sustain, and for slap-limiting I'll go with more-like 9:30 or 10:00.

Remember these settings include the tone-boost; you'd run the tone at 12:30 or-so for 'flat'.

That Attack control is a powerful part of customizing your squish-factor; my bass sounds 'held-back' at Attack settings less-clockwise than about 11:30-ish, and settings more-clockwise than 2:00 get a pretty radical attack-THUMP! - you might like it...

Also remember that when comparing my settings, it's the Sustain control that would be especially instrument-dependant - a bass with a higher output would necessitate a less-clockwise knob position for the same compression.

It appears the way it's set up is that the 'Sustain' control is really the input gain, and the threshold level is set. This works-out great because all you need to do is adjust the Sustain control, and you don't have to then go-over and compensate with make-up gain, like if it were the threshold level you were changing.

Joe

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well that sounds like a reasonable place to start. As soon as I get the PF returned. :)

6. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    This thread actually got me thinking of my mini bi-comp (which I've only had a few weeks). I got it used and had just kind of left it's internal knobs the default settings (not really thinking the previous owner might have mucked with them).

Anyway, I dug up the manual (http://www.analogman.com/manuals/minibicomp.doc for intrested parties) to figure out exactly what those internal pots entailed and did some tweaking (most specifically on the jucier side) and was able to get a significantly stronger (or weaker) squash by fooling with it. Frankly I'm alot happier with it now... I've been pretty much only using the ross side. I can't wait to try it out at band practice tomorrow.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm reading that the Juicer seems to be more the squish that I'm looking for. Can one of you provide sound clips of the Juicer off, at medium and maxed settings? I want to make sure this is the sound in my head before dropping $165.

Oh, and has anyone been able to compare this with the General Guitar Gadgets OS-1 Orange Squeezer clone?

8. turnuptheBASS

turnuptheBASS

Jan 30, 2005
    So. CA.
    I am just wondering...what do you mean by "squishy?" :D

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not transparent really, it's hard to describe, but you can audibly hear the effect changing the sound, rather than something transparent that's not very noticable.

10. I hear ya, I like a fair amount of "squeeze" usually. My fave is the Boss CS-1. Been using one since '79.

The Compulator has decent squeeze too.

11. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    1) I'll see if I can get to it this morning.

2) Most of the orange squeeze clones that I've seen don't actully seem to have an external means of controlling the strength of the effect, the knob on the outside always seems to be a volume.

Links to the other pedals I looked at while confirming this:
    http://www.pedalgeek.com/cgi-bin/new_shop.cgi?config=&uid=RR1HzAAA1143383910&uzc=&command=link--kess
    http://www.pedalgeek.com/cgi-bin/new_shop.cgi?config=&uid=RR1HzAAA1143383910&uzc=&command=link--kess
    http://www.pedalworx.com/mcsqueeze.html

I did find the "Tangerine Squeeze" which has an external squish control:
    http://www.pedaldoctor.com/TangerineSqueeze.html

From that page:
    "This actually is a bias control and was part of the original circuit. It will only operate properly in a set range but allows the user to taylor the amount of compression quite a bit"

I did notice playing with my internal trim pot there is a point where you can "kill" the sound. Right before that point is a wierd stage where hard note strikes seem to be swallowed (and softer ones play throught). I doesn't seem to be a smooth linear roll like the attack knob on a ross based circuit (perhaps the reason most clones don't mess with it as a knob).

12. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Had some problems with my ghetto recording setup getting the sound detail, so really basic.

1st sound = No Juicer
    2nd sound = Juicer (note the hiss, it does add a little)

Alternating back and forth. Doesn't do it justice, but it's an idea.

http://www.grygrx.net/music/pedal_demos/juicer_compare.mp3

13. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1 on the Squeezer clones. I love the squish. The one I use is made by "Vintage Tone Project", and it sounds and works great. Unfortunately I haven't A/B'd it against any of the other clones. FWIW, I have owned a Green Ringer clone by GGG, and it was very well made and sounded awesome.

14. turnuptheBASS

turnuptheBASS

Jan 30, 2005
    So. CA.

do you mean a thicker sound? fat?

15. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Ok, I'll show my ignorance. When talking about a compressor, what do you mean by *squishy enough*?

16. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'll answer from my POV, since I think I'm on the same page as tplyons here.

Compressors change the dynamics of your sound by reducing the output level in direct response to input peaks. A so-called transparent compressor will limit the dynamics without noticeably changing the "shape" (envelope) of your bass's natural sound. But the non-transparent ones change the envelope in a way that makes the signal sound "squashed", in that they impose a different envelope shape on the sound. An example is the Orange Squeezer, which reacts to peaks with a big drop in level, which then rises back up in a swell. You can really hear the sound get squeezed. In the right context, it can sound very cool.

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Scroll up to the 9th post, I answered my definition of squishy.

I'm looking for something more, dare I say, OUT THERE. As far as compression anwyway.

18. turnuptheBASS

turnuptheBASS

Jan 30, 2005
    So. CA.
    Alrighty then...I think I know what you mean by squishy:eyebrow: (at least in my opinion) I would reccomend the compressor made by retro-sonic (http://www.retro-sonic.com) They are more known for their chorus pedals (two of my buddies have them...they sound great--wonder how they would sound on the bass?) I just recieved mine yesterday and I "THINK" it does the "squish" thing really well. My guitar player friend let me borrow a Tangerine Squeeze and his Retro-Sonic compressors and the Retro-Sonic got my vote. I actually email the the guy Tim and adjusted the input section of the jack to allow more bass frequencies in( not sure if its going to do anything dramatic or crazy because the darn thing sounded so good anyways...but it was nice of him to do it anyway) Oh yea it has a three way toggle thing for more flexability AND a BLUE LED!(now you know its going to sound great!!!...j/p) Not sure if this is going to be right for you...just a suggestion...good luck with your pedal hunting:hyper:

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Long shot here, what about a Dynacomp? I seem to recall it being rather squishy and vintagey sounding...

Any input?

20. turnuptheBASS

turnuptheBASS

Jan 30, 2005
    So. CA.
    forgot to mention it earlier but the retro sonic is a ROSS clone. :D