Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

something strange with my mtd

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by malabito, Sep 9, 2003.

1. I just notice the other day that there is a small line, exactly in the middle of the body of the bass. It starts from the back of the bridge(just were the wood of the back of the body ends) to were the front body ends, before the truss rod. I dont think its a crack since its perfectly straight, its seems more as if it was the place were the woods of the top were glued. The problem is that I have never seen it or notice it before, and I have always thought the upper part of the body was one piece of wood, not two. Is this normal???:( The bass has been babe, which means its in excellent condition.

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    show us a pic- your bass is most likely bookmatched- so there is glue joint right done the middle- Mike T is pretty legendary for doing impeccable work, so i would be surprised if its a flaw of any kind- let's see a pic!- peace, A

3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    That does sound like a seam where the pieces of the bookmatched top were glued. Most exotic wood tops are two pieces, but if they're well done, it looks like a one-piece top. The seam is sometimes more visible in different sources of light.

My MTD does the same thing, as have many other custom basses I've owned with exotic tops. I'm not a professional luthier, but my educated guess is that this is simply a side effect of the finish, wood, and glue settling in.

It's not a structural problem, and it doesn't sound any different, so I just chalk it up to the instrument's journey into being a vintage classic.

If it really bugs you, you can take it to a pro or ask Mike Tobias himself.

4. I´ll try and get some pics tomorrow. The line is really thin so it must be a glue joint as you mention. The problem is that I have never notice it before, maybe it is becouse it lies right below the A string, and if you look at it from the top you can not see it.

Thanks...

5. Yeep it doesnt affect sound or playability, but it indeed can been seen , maye it is that I didnt notice it before. About been an instruments journey into being a vintage, it could be if it was older, but this bass its only 2 years old.

Thanks...

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    if its a 535,, youre right- the string will be right over it- im convinced its just a glue line

7. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    My MTD is about three years old. Two years sounds a little early for a seam to pop up, but it happens. It's especially noticable on instruments with thin finishes. My quilt top Sadowsky has a seam, too, but it's almost 15 years old.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :D

9. just be thankful that you have an MTD! or email Michael Tobias and ask him, i'm sure he would be happy to talk to you about it.

10. Of course I am thankful, I am more than that, :) , its just that I dont want to email Michael Tobias with something that maybe is nonsense, cosidering that I am very picky with any detail on my instruments. But you are right, maybe the most reasonable would be to email him and clear all doubts.

thanks....

11. I agree that it sounds like a bookmatch join.

The easiest way to tell is to look a the figuring of the wood both sides of the line. If the wood pattern looks identical/mirror image, then it will be a bookmatched top.

All of my basses that have facings that cover the whole bass have been bookmatched and a very feint line can be seen. This is not due to bad workmanship but as I said above, the mirror image of the wood pattern draws your eye to where the two peices of wood join together. You then notice the identical wood pattern and hence you notice the join line.

Regards

Matthew

12. Thanks for the replies, I fill more relief now. I just wanted to be sure it was something normal, anyway I am going to post some photos tonight. I did found some photos I took a while a go, and although you cant see the line I am talking about, becouse its right below the A string, you can see the part that is behind the bridge.

I do realize now that maybe it has always been there, and I never have notice it before, :) .

Here is the old picture, I´ll take some new tonight, taking out the A string....

Thanks, for making a paranoic bassist, less :confused: .

13. malabito
    Looking at the photo it is a very nice peice that has been bookmatched. I do not think you should have a problem, from the photo the bass looks gourgeous.

If you are still concerned take a photo and drop it to MTD in an email you will get the definitive answer back.

P.s. don't forget to post some more photo's for us to drool over. :)

Regards

Matthew

14. Thanks for the compliment on the bass. I do have more pics, I posted them all on the show your mtd thread. As soon as I take a detail photo i´ll email it to Michael Tobias.

Thanks a lot :bassist:

15. The line does look normal to me. Killer bass by the way.

Geoff

16. I tried to take some photos but the line didnt appear so clearly. Anyways, I am already convince that is just the glue joint you all were talking about.

Thanks to all for your patience :D

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I thought u meant, the pieces wer elike, coming apart or something. THat u have there is notthing, its just where the wood pieces were put together. The only reason u see a line at all is bc the grain isnt the same on each side.