Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Something that comes close to DB680?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Melvin7822, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Let's face it, most of us can't afford an Aguilar DB680. Is there anything else that comes relatively close in tone?

2. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Yes, it's a spendy preamp and one of my favorites. I've not heard anything that is like it. :rollno:

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    If relatively close to the tone of the DB680 is what you're seeking, I do feel that the Ashdown RPM-1 warrants a try. The DB680 is pretty unique tonally IMO.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, the ashdown gets you close to the db680 - slightly woolier in the mids than the Aguilar.
    But there's nothing else like it I can think of.

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Curious: those of you (if any) that have spent some time with both the DB680 and the Read Purity -- how do they compare?

6. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Yeah, what he said.
    I don't think anything comes close to the db680 just because it has like what...10 friggin' tubes in that badboy?

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    very different.
    The db680 has some natural low end coloring, the read doesn't in my experience. The Read had a bit more of a mid emphasis with the unit I've tried, but overall more clarity. If that makes sense

They're both great preamps, just a question of what you want - they're very different animals
    Any specific questions?

8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Five tubes. They say ten gain stages but there are two stages available per tube.

9. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I was wondering if any of the new Mesa stuff got close. I know the Big Block 750 has 8 stages and the M-Pulse 600 has 4 stages. I love my Alembic F1-X, but it just doesn't want to work for loud rock bands.

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    No; I just would like to spend a bit of time with a Purity to check it out with the rest of my equipment.

Thanks for the input.