Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Something that happens to me, opinions?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Velocimaniac, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    First a little background...
    I'm a vegetarian. Normally I'm an incredibly healthy eater. I don't eat any bad stuff at all, no junk food, no candy, chocolate, desserts, chips, fries, not even things like goldfish. I will eat Vegetables, fruits, and grains. I also eat nuts, milk products, and beans for protein. I make sure I get enough protein every day, since it's so important.

Now my problem(if you can call it a problem):
    Occasionally(maybe once every two weeks or so) I feel(not emotionally or mentally, more like I have a deep, undeniable need) I have to eat lots and lots of FAT. Saturated fat, a large amount of calories too. I'll eat anything with lots of fat(and/or calories). For instance, I felt like this today. I ate helping of macadamias, almost a whole can of smoked almonds, a big(and I mean big; about 1/4 of the block) cube of cheese, bowl of cereal, 6 graham cracker sheets, 5 granola bars of various flavor, some pop tarts, and what was left of the can of mixed nuts in my house. I don't gorge or make myself sick on this, but at the same time I know I shouldn't be eating all that stuff in one meal period. Following the large intake of fat and protein, I get a...rush, I guess? I feel...very male, if that makes any sense. Like lots and lots of testosterone was suddenly released into my body. Within about 15 or 30 minutes after my meal, I can notice a visible increase in my muscles. Not only do they become larger, they become more defined. And I mean all muscles; even my abs push out of my stomach more than usual. Usually when this happens I work out, and when I work out I find that I can push around MUCH more weight than I normally can without tiring. This muscle surge continues for 6 hours or so. Usually this happens at night, so I go to sleep before the time is up. Then when I wake up in the morning, the largeness from last night is gone and in place of the muscle gain is just a lot of fat that I subsequently work off in the following days. After about 4 days of eating like normal and working out with my usual weights, I'm back where I was before I ate all that stuff. So that's my story. Anybody have an idea what the deal is with me?

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Your body NEEDS IT! Being a veggie is fine and well... but you are by nature a carnivore! Food chain baby :rolleyes:

3. your body is doing that because of the workouts and such. you are taking precious protein and nutrients it needs for the type of workout you say you are doing. so your body needs to rejuvinate somehow. maybe if you ate some of those things every night or morning it will not be so bad every four days or so. you are a meat eater by nature so your body is using a lot more with all the workouts with being a vegetarian. which by the way is great. get a snickers man. just joking. really, maybe eat a little more protein or something. your body is telling you it needs something desparately. if it keeps up, see a doctor. do you take vitamins. anyway, good luck:)

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    A consistently disproved theory.

5. oh go and practice Jazzbo. :p

On the vegie thing If your body needs those things, then take them, but maybe slide it into the routine. Eat some of the foods you so call "crave" on a more consistent basis. Fat is good, take small amounts, its probably having a adverse effect by taking it all in one hit.

:D:D

Merls

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Your body needs lipids to store energy, insolate, and function as a protective coating, so maybe you are lacking one of those functions.

7. How long have you been a veggy?
    You really need to find a book, or do some more searching on proper eating with this lifestyle.

TalkBass might be a source for some info but no style of eating habits work for every person.
    Search other sites. There must be a talkvegtables forum somewhere.

8. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    How about...MEAT, MEAT, MEAT!!!!....Your body is craving fat...They are saying now that fat, not alot, but some fat, is very good for your body. Especially if you are eliminating it completely from your diet. However, I am not a doctor, and maybe you should go and see one if this continues on, or maybe go on www.webmd.com and see what you can find out on your own. Good luck.

9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    I made it specifically for talkbass...

hang around some more and you'll learn why Carrots are so special to us :)

wait! i don't even know why! damn that JT! :D

10. I don't get it, whats that a picture of?

11. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    Teacher Says that if you eat carrots, you'll be able to see in the dark better. So I ate 20 lbs of carrots a day for a week so I could have night vision and all I got was vitamin D poisoning.

12. beans.... :p

:D:D

Merls

13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Talk to a nutritionist for good advice.

If you care to look around, I saw a PBS "Frontline" about 2 years ago about fat, what it is, why we as humans crave it, and its origins in our diet as humans.

It was quite eye opening!

Fat is Jet Fuel to humans. As primatives, we rarely had fat in our diets, so when we did encounter fat, we consumed it with abandon because of the energy we got from it.

According to Frontline, it's primal.

14. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    :(

15. Weird..

I once had a similar experience, When I was 14 I once felt a huge need for fat and a desire of doing exercise, (i normally dont do much) ANd I just started doing pushups.. Not so many, just for 30 minutes, with breaks, I just stopped to eat.. I ate two packs of that Salmon flavored Philadelphia cheese. It was like half a Kilogram..

I went to sleep and the other day I could notice a huge musle increasement in my shoulders and back, I couldn't believe.. I don't know if its normal to change from a kids body to a man's, but this happened to me in one day. LOL

Well.. I stopped eating meat and saturated fat for many months once Nad felt great.. Happy , energic, never felt anxious.. but my brother hasn't eat meat or chicken for more than a year and doesn't look that good.

Ok. btw HUmans are not carnivores by nature..

16. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    Not IMHO. Besides, if I was, I still wouldn't eat meat because it's so filthy these days:(

yes

I concur. I try and eat enough fat every day, but I guess I'm not.[

QUOTE]Your body needs lipids to store energy, insolate, and function as a protective coating, so maybe you are lacking one of those functions[/QUOTE]
    I don't think so...I never get cold, even when everyone else is freezing, and I don't ahve a problem with energy unless I miss out on sleep

All my life, even when I was in my mom's tummy she ate vegetarian:cool:

I have researched this a lot already, and I thought that I was doing everything correctly...maybe not

thanks for the advice everybody

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That's simple. Many vitamins are fat soluble. When you become deficient in them, your body will let you know. Further, you need certain amino acids that vegetables CAN NOT provide for you. Humans are not carnivores, we are omnivores. If you don't believe it, look at your dentition. Where do you think those canine teeth came from? They're not for grinding veggies, they're for ripping meat. A moderate amount of meat is an essential part of a healthy diet. Veganism is NOT "incredibly healthy." It is a way of denying your body easy access to critically important dietary elements.

As far as I'm concerned, veganism is a symptom of an underlying psychological disorder. Most likely something to do with poor mothering and low self-esteem. But then, I'm just a dumb geologist.

18. agree with this..

I'm a veggie to, but I don't have this craving you have...