something to fill out a solo???

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Si-bob, Jan 3, 2002.

1. hey mike
    hope u had a good christmas and new years
    i just ordered 'The Chordal Apprach' and can't wait to get it!

i'm just writing to ask you weather there are any effects that u would recomend to 'fill out' a solo/chordal bass piece, I mean things such as chorus etc
    i'v never had much experience with effects, never needed to, all i got is my ProCo Rat for my rock band! :)

cheers fer your help

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"

Thasnk for your order. I hope it does not take more than 10 days or so.

I use three effects. Only one of which I use to enhance the solo. When I'm playing with an ensemble I will use the mid-boost on my Fodera Model 2000. This allows my solo to cut through the band a bit more. I just boos the mid frequencies a bit.

For solo gigs I use the Boomerang Phrase Sampler (not really an effect). I also use an EBS Bass IQ (Envelope Filter) which allows me to add some funky stuff underneath. I will sometimes boost the mids for my solos over the boomerang. Sometimes I just role off a little bass. That way I can seperate the voices a bit.

I have tried using the Bss IQ for melodies and solos, sometimes it sounds very cool, you just have to be very careful with your attack (as envelope filters are attack dependent).

On my CD I did add some reverb to the solo voices as well as chordal pieces. I tried to make the bass sound like an old hollow body jazz guitar, played in a club. It was effective on some cuts. I have not tried that effect live.

Steve Lawson uses some chorus effects to great use. Perhaps becuase of the more textural effect of his playing. I have not been so successful in my experiments in a live setting