Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Something to look after when buying a Rickenbacker?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Menved565, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Menved565

Menved565

Dec 7, 2003
    I'm thinking about buying an old Rickenbacker 4001 bass. Beside the sound I do not know much about this bass. Is there anything that I should be awere of?

2. I dunno if this is true, but i have heard from some people that older RIC's necks were more prone to warping? I know the new ones are supposed to be stronger though.
    I dont know if this is true so i cannot varify this, so it would be wise to check it before you buy it if possible, but i guess that can go for any bass you buy :p

3. Check for actual warpage too. Some Ricks (or any bass I guess) might already have a slightly warped neck that will just get worse.

4. Menved565

Menved565

Dec 7, 2003
    Thanks, but it is not possible for me to try the bass before buying, so it is a chancebuy - the seller is from NY and I'm from Denmark. Are there any other things to look after (on the pictures)?

5. If its an overseas purchase...the only thing you can really do i can think of is examine the photos carefully...and dont hesitate or be afraid to ask as many questions to the seller if you see something odd or something your not sure about...

then cross your fingers.

6. neck warping and incorrect truss rod adjustments..
    i understand the 4001 had one truss rod
    my 4003 had two but still they still could be rotated incorrectly so causing them to work the wrong way round...and i think i had a bit of twist in the neck
    as for buying 'blind' the precautions apply as to any other bass or item
    ask a lot of questions and if possible get a chance to actually speak to the person...
    its all chance in the end..
    ps if the 4001 has the horseshoe magnet fine
    if not ask if the pup cover is included...i think ricks without them look terrible and dont comply with the overall look.

7. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    4001's had two truss rods. HOWEVER, they were extremely wonky in that you had to be very careful when adjusting them, or you could literally pop the fretboard off. You have to manually move the neck into the desired position, and then tighten the rods up to match.

EDIT: 4003's are the same as 4001's, the difference being a new wonky-less truss rods system.

8. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Try to get close up pictures of the Truss rod ends (with truss rod cover removed.) I've heard horror stories about the Truss Nuts being mangled terribly by inexperienced tweakers using improper tools and such.

Other than that.. closeups of vital areas (pickups, bridge, frets 3-5 for wear, etc.) are always nice to see before buying.

-Mike

9. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    well, i bought a 4001 from www.bassnw.com , it came in 5 days and it was really professionally set up, i would make sure that the neck hasn't been touched (the rick is maybe the only one of my basses that doesn't need to be set up with season changes), and that the E string sounds as good as the others.
    for any other question gimme a whistle